Extract Kit Expired 2006 - Still Usable For 1st Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
Hi All, I've got 3 coopers kits as part of an ebay purchase that expired in 2006. I have new yeast, would these kits still be OK to use?

It's going to be my first batch and plan to use the 'extract spreadsheet' to suppliment the recipes (once I find the spreadsheet - only found out about it a few minutes ago!).

Thanks.

They won't kill you but it is unlikely they will make very good beer either. Stale, twangy and darker than you're chasing are the likely results.

Up to you. I would bin them. Waste of new yeast.

Hi All, I've got 3 coopers kits as part of an ebay purchase that expired in 2006. I have new yeast, would these kits still be OK to use?

It's going to be my first batch and plan to use the 'extract spreadsheet' to suppliment the recipes (once I find the spreadsheet - only found out about it a few minutes ago!).

Thanks.
I think that's the year I started brewing!

It never ceases to amaze me how tight some homebrewers are. Buy fresh.

Thanks for the response fellas and go easy on me OK I'm new around here! There were 4 other kits of the same vintage too so it could have played out quite well. But now I know not to waste my time with them so that's great.

I promise to ask far less stupid questions from now on, but then again, I don't always keep my promises!

Thanks for the response fellas and go easy on me OK I'm new around here! There were 4 other kits of the same vintage too so it could have played out quite well. But now I know not to waste my time with them so that's great.

I promise to ask far less stupid questions from now on, but then again, I don't always keep my promises!
Bah, we all screw up sometime.

Did you know they were out of date when you bought them?
I'd either bin them, or throw them all in together... make a 9-10% monster.

I bought a stack of 2yo out of date kits once. Lesson learnt the not-so-tasty way.

Bah, we all screw up sometime.

Did you know they were out of date when you bought them?
I'd either bin them, or throw them all in together... make a 9-10% monster.

I bought a stack of 2yo out of date kits once. Lesson learnt the not-so-tasty way.

yep - they came extra with the brew equipment I got from an ebay sale so it was only going to be a bonus if they were usable.

get your palm-to-face response ready for when I post my next set of questionable questions!

Latest posts

Back