Extract Ipa Recipe Critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseH

Reaction score
I'm gathering bits and pieces for my AG set-up, but in the the meantime I have a 50L vessel with a Craftbrewer heating element in it sitting here and some extract ingredients, so I thought I might try a full boil extract recipe of an AIPA to test it out. I'm thinking of this recipe I've put together after looking around, loosely based on some Punk IPA recipe clones for the hops. I'm looking for a higher IBU and ABV than my previous APA brews, and a bit of in your face hoppiness without being unpleasant. (Values are from Beer Designer Spreadsheet)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.068
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016
Alcohol (ABV): 7.1 %
Colour (EBC): 14.5
Bitterness (IBU): 65.4

3.5kg LDME
0.1kg Carapils
0.2kg Amber Crystal
0.5kg Dextrose

Colombus 35g @ 60min
Amarillo 20g @ 10min
Cascade 20g @ 10min
Amarillo 20g @ 0min
Cascade 20g @ 0min
Amarillo 30g Dry Hopped
Nelson Sauvin 10g Dry Hopped

60min boil with 25L(allow 2 litres of evap?)

Ferment at 18c with US05

I haven't done a full boil before, does any of this sound idioticor anyone see any obvious problems?

How you planning on chilling it? If no-chilling there are a few threads where people have tried cube hopping IPA's/APA's around, worth a read.

How you planning on chilling it? If no-chilling there are a few threads where people have tried cube hopping IPA's/APA's around, worth a read.

Yeah that was one of my next questions! I have the beginnings of a counter flow chiller, but probably wont have it ready in time, so more than likely no-chill in a cube. I'll go read some more on no-chilling.

Yeah that was one of my next questions! I have the beginnings of a counter flow chiller, but probably wont have it ready in time, so more than likely no-chill in a cube. I'll go read some more on no-chilling.

You can experiment with cube hopping, have a read of this thread, and also check out the 10 min ipa recipe and accompanying thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=60671

Personally, as its just extract I'd do a mini boil, around 6 litres, and chuck it into 17 litres of water you have pre chilled to 1 degree, will put you very close to pitching temp. Need to use a bit more hops to allow for the smaller volume, but you get a great flavour and aroma.

Otherwise if you want to do a full boil and no chill as you would for all grain, you can do the "Argon Method", you do your early additions and full boil as normal., whack it in the cube, stick it in the fridge. The next day you draw off a couple litres, boil it up again and do your late hop additions then chuck it in the fermenter with the cold wort from the fridge, which puts it at pitching temp. Heres the thread:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=55801

Have you thought about doning a 10-12L boil (as you are using mostly extract) with a gravity of 1.040 and using the cold water to bring the temp down as oppossed to no chilling? I thought this would stop you having an overly bitter beer at the end.

You can experiment with cube hopping, have a read of this thread, and also check out the 10 min ipa recipe and accompanying thread:

Personally, as its just extract I'd do a mini boil, around 6 litres, and chuck it into 17 litres of water you have pre chilled to 1 degree, will put you very close to pitching temp. Need to use a bit more hops to allow for the smaller volume, but you get a great flavour and aroma.

Otherwise if you want to do a full boil and no chill as you would for all grain, you can do the "Argon Method", you do your early additions and full boil as normal., whack it in the cube, stick it in the fridge. The next day you draw off a couple litres, boil it up again and do your late hop additions then chuck it in the fermenter with the cold wort from the fridge, which puts it at pitching temp. Heres the thread:

these are proberbly a little more tried and trued than my method and now withdraw my previous comment.

My previous two brews have been extract partial boils of around 6 litres, they have turned out pretty good but I was keen to try a full boil now I have a suitable vessel, to see how it compares. I'll read through those no chill links. My other option may be to pull my finger out get my CFC finished!

Next question, with this higher OG is advisable to pitch 2 yeast sachets?

Next question, with this higher OG is advisable to pitch 2 yeast sachets?
yes. hydrate the yeast first (ie add it to some plain water and leave for a bit). this helps not shock the yeast.
you could get away with one packet but up to you.

you should look at yeast harvesting. means you save $ on yeast. so collect some slurry once you've finished this batch and keep it so you can reuse the yeast.

Managed to get this recipe down over the weekend(on Australia Day). I couldn't get any Colombus at such short notice so substituted it for 30gm of Warrior @ 45min.

I also didnt quite get the OG I expected, I ended up with an actual OG of 1060(instead of 1068 according the Beer Designer Spreadsheet estimate). I think one reason for this was due to not calculating in wort losses, I started the boil with a little over 30liters in the keggle, ended up with 24litres in the fermenter, probably wasted about ~3 liters of wort to kettle trub and the first runnings through the chiller.

Currently bubbling away at 18c in my ferm fridge, will wait until it gets down close to FG and then dry hop. Still not sure on what dry hop schedule I'll use, might go a little more aggressive than I stated in the original post?

My electric keggle works a treat! Takes a bit of time to get up to temp with a single 2200W element, but managed rolling boil with ~30L quite easily.

Back