Extract Brewing Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielmanners

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm on the right track, on the extract brewing process. For example (Dr Smurto Golden Ale)

20 litres
1 can Light malt extract
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
20g Amarillo @ 60 min
15g Amarillo @ 15 min
15g Amarillo @ 5 min
15g Amarillo Dry Hopped
Yeast - US05

1. Add all ingredients into your brewing pot, and bring to the boil with your entire calculated water volume.
2. Then add hops as per the recipe above
3. Whirlpool
4. Run through the plate chiller, into the fermenter.
5. Add yeast starter

Apologies in advance if this as already been discussed, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

spot on the money...

you must have a decent pot and burner to boil 20L.

(i'm in the process of setting up a 60 ish litre extract brew kettle) what filtering are you running to to stop hops muck clogging your plate chiller? I haven't decided on what to use yet

spot on the money...

you must have a decent pot and burner to boil 20L.

(i'm in the process of setting up a 60 ish litre extract brew kettle) what filtering are you running to to stop hops muck clogging your plate chiller? I haven't decided on what to use yet

Cheers for the reply. I don't have any filtering when using my plate chiller. I stir the wort (5min after flame out) creating a whirlpool. Then run through my plate chiller from the kettle into the fermenter. Once finished I attach the garden hose to the plate chiller to flush out any hops that got into the chiller, but that is usually minimal.

so whirlpooling makes any gunk settle in the kettle? any sort of screen on your kettle pickup? any picks of your system? i'd be keen to see another brewers extract kettle and cooler setup.

DrS' GA is meant to ferment 20 liters so you would just top up the fermenter? Or try to start with more than 20l?

You can do it like that, however there is no need to do a full volume boil. Seems like a waste of time and energy to me.
Small 5 litre boil with half a can of malt is fine. Add the rest of the fermentables to the fermenter.

+1 I would also do a small volume boil not sure you need to whirlpool with extract should not have any hot break.

250g of crystal malt steeped for 30 mins is a good idea. Apart from that looks the goods.

Back