extract brew very dark

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srimes101

Reaction score
ok so ive encountered this once before , i brewed a coopers draught, the beer itself was super dark,
i bottle conditioned for 4 weeks before drinking,
the brew tasted like syrup. just horrible.

Now ive done a aus pale ale and its turned out almost identical in colour and taste, very syrupy and just tastes weird
has anyone encountered this before,
everything was sanitised before using. i havent had any issues with any morgans kits ive brewed before.

am i missing something .
when i mix the extract can up its all dissolved properly with around 4 litres of boiling water .

Attachments

• 20220712_215417.mp4
    42 MB
a better video showing what should be a australian pale ale

Attachments

• video-1657634986.mp4
    1.8 MB
Check the BBE dates on the kits, as extract ages it darkens, looses bitterness and generally heads the way yours is.
Really old extract can develop metallic flavours along with the rest you have described.
Mark

I have a couple of old coopers lager tins and did one with no extras and used a lager yeast, similar colour and a bit of a tang probably due to age. So colour isn't that unusual especially being extract.

Doesn't look like much carbonation in the video, could it be the priming sugar causing the sweet syrupy taste? I've had times where I tried bottles early (not carbed so residual sugar from priming) or primed thinking there was enough after kegging to fill a few bottles and left with one half full (with priming sugar mixed in). Can come out quite sweet in some beers.

Check the BBE dates on the kits, as extract ages it darkens, looses bitterness and generally heads the way yours is.
Really old extract can develop metallic flavours along with the rest you have described.
Mark
I think @MHB is bang on - if the OP still has the tins in their trash go and check the best before dates on them. Suspect they're oldish &/or hadn't been stored in coolest spots. Extract gets much darker as it ages and funny flavours can come into it - which sounds pretty much bang on - perhaps some slight ferment issue as well for the end result. I've had this happen myself a long time ago - can be more noticeable when it's a hopped extract (i.e kit).

Thanks for the tips ,
Brew was left for 14 days in the fermenter then bottled using 2 csr sugar cubes per 750ml bottle

Back