Extra Time In The Fermenter...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disconnected

Reaction score
my question basically is this: does extra time in the fermenter mean the brew will need less time to mature?

i ask this because my last brew sat in the fermenter for over a month (it was still bubbling!) before i despaired and bottled it anyway. will this mean it will have less of a "green" taste to it after the compulsory 2 weeks in the bottle?

i'm trying the first one tonight, so i'll see how it goes.

In a word no.
The beer will maybe clear quicker, but the secondary fermentation will still take the same amount of time.

Cheers,
Doc

ok then, thanks mate.

the taste test confirms it...still has that "immature" edge to it, although i'd expect that for a little while anyway.

while i'm posting, what's the best way to store maturing beer? i understand largers are supposed to stay in the fridge (largering?) or something, but i don't have that much fridge space, how important is this?

do all beers need this?

at the mo, my maturing bottles are all just sitting in the cupboard at room temp. usually doesn't get too hot due to the wonders of air conditioning.

Cold conditioning your beers in the fridge can improve them.
IMHO if you use a lager yeast then it is worth the effort.
If you have used an ale yeast (ie you fermented at around 20 deg) then you probably won't notice much difference.

If your bottles are sitting in the cupboard at a reasonably constant room tmep then then they will be fine. Best practice is to keep them in a dark place and use brown beer bottles. This way your beer will not be affected by light.

Cheers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back