Extra Fermentables in Secondary?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
I've just put on a brew of Australian Old.

1.7Kg Morgan's Old
500g Dark dry malt extract
300g Light dry malt extract
200g light brown sugar

I added some Fuggles finishing hops for last 10 mins of a 55 min boil.

This made 23L. Gravity before yeast pitching was 1.039.

I'm a bit worried that the gravity might be a bit low. By my calcs, if it ferments out to 1.010, I'll get 3.1%/Vol alcohol which is a bit light on. I was aiming for about 4.5%.

I plan to rack to secondary and was wondering if I can add more fermentables at that stage to boost the strength of the beer, or am I best off just sucking it down and having a batch of "light dark beer"?

The brew is not to blame. It's the hydrometer. I think. It reads tap water as .997, so it's out a bit. I should have calibrated the damn thing before jumping to conclusions about my beer.

I'd still be interested in additional malts in secondary. I've heard of people adding fruit in secondary fermentation (in fact I'm planning some fruity pale ale later), but never malts or sugar. Does it work?

Adding Fermentables to the Secondary

This can work. You will be doing a double stage fermentation.
One caution is if you add too much fermentables, the alcohol will kill the yeast before all the fermentables are are consumed - result in a sweet tasting beer.

Try tasting the beer after racking into the secondary. If it tastes good, why make it stronger ?

If it does not taste good, add malt (500gms) or Dark Brown Sugar (great in Dark Ales - 200gms- can be overpowering if too much added).

I have added Black treacle before - use only small amounts- overpowering and adds a liquorice flavour.

Hope this helps.

Back