Extra Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev182

Reaction score
First time posting here so be gentle.

I have put down a brew last Saturday night.

I am starting think that I have gone over the top and whether I should end it early or if it can be recovered.

Essentially
-Coopers Dark Ale can
-Coopers Dark malt extract
-Kit yeast

That is it.

I did life the lid....I know I should leave it, has stopped bubbling away. It smelt like a sour more that anything tastes a bit sour...

Is it going to get better

Cheers

G'day kev182
Be patient and let it sit for another week I know it is hard at the start but good things come to those who wait.......sometimes.

abyss is right kev182. Most of us leave in fermenter for 14 days. Make sure you do your hydrometer check. What you have made will be a top drop but it will need to mature in the bottle for a while to get full value or if kegging leave as long as possible. I have similar bottles to your recipe over 3/4 years old and top drop in my opinion.

If you are smelling and tasting sourness then I'd say you more than likely have an infection.

But that isn't the end of the world. Head the advice above and ferment it out. If it is an infection then it probably wont go away however there is the possibility that you have inadvertently brewed a sour dark ale that will be quite drinkable so approach it as such. Or it could go completely to shit but follow through with the process and see what comes of it. Either way you will learn from it.

Could be smelling co2. Better to take a sample through the tap into an hdrometer tube, measure the gravity and smell/taste. Fermentation throws out lots of whacky flavours and aromas.
Bread dough does not taste like fresh baked bread. Let the process finish properly before final judgement.

abyss is right kev182. Most of us leave in fermenter for 14 days. Make sure you do your hydrometer check. What you have made will be a top drop but it will need to mature in the bottle for a while to get full value or if kegging leave as long as possible. I have similar bottles to your recipe over 3/4 years old and top drop in my opinion.
So maybe next winters dark beer

Back