extended time in secondary.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

Reaction score
I was planning on
bottling an APA today that I had to leave in the secondary for 7 weeks. Was not the plan but got called back to work early then had to stay 4 weeks longer than planed.
So I guess I am curious to know if others have left a brew this long and if it had any bad effects on it.
I drew a sample and it still taste alright but my only thing I would say is that it has lost some hope aroma and I think it my have suffered a bit from oxidation as I have not got the equipment to purge with co2.
Not sure weather it would be worth dry hopping to get some aroma back???
would appreciate some advise.

Cheers

If it ain't infected, I would dry hop....

In general time improves beer so, unless the yeast has autolysed, which by the sounds of things it hasn't, carry on as normal!

By the sounds of it you keg, so i would be getting that beer out asap and dry hopping in the keg in a sanitised bag or at a pinch chux cloths. At 7 weeks its dangerously close to infection and/or autolysis

He's talking about 7 weeks on secondary. Very little risk of autolysis. I once had a Russian imperial stout in secondary for ten months at room temp before bottling. 5 years after bottling I fondly farewelled the final bottle. No ss keg, no co2 purge, just care taken at every step.

EDIT - the above typed on the phone so short. He also states he is about to bottle.... so I don't think he kegs.

To the OP you will of course notice less hoppiness after 7 weeks, but whether you again dry hop is a personal choice. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not a hoppy beer brewer.

Hmmm few too many beers this arvo it would seem. Missed that part of the title. And the part about bottling it would seem. As you were lol

Ok thanks for to advise. Going of what i tasted from my sample the beer is definitely fine , came out a little drier than i wanted but i think that was due to a low mash temp and mashing longer than intended . The aroma is of course not what it was originally but i think i will bottle as i am keen to brew again and only have 2 fermenters . I was wanting to know if it was possible to dry hop again an that was answered thanks.

cheers.

I made a beer and left it for 3 months in primary while i was travelling. Kegged it and it was one of the best (and clearest) i'd ever made.

ekul said:
I made a beer and left it for 3 months in primary while i was travelling. Kegged it and it was one of the best (and clearest) i'd ever made.
At what temperature?

I left a ginger beer in the secondary for 13 months as i was very slack getting the second tap on my fridge. It was my best brew ever. The wife and i couldn't stop drinking it, the keg didn't even last two weeks. I had no temperature control on the secondary either.

I have to say I think this beer is going to be very good. I opened a bottle last night , a bit early, even though not fully carbonated it had a great taste not as dry as I thought it was going to be from the sample I tasted , which is good. It was quite cloudy but I suspect this is from dry hopping and also maybe not having my sparge down pat. But over all very drinkable . First time I have used galaxy hops and I got to say that they really stand out.

Latest posts

Back