Expressions of Interest - SS fermenter cones- Melb, Syd, anywhere

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even better! Looks like a great option the 2" conversion kit in the above post plus the 4" ferrulle at the bottom.

Pressure ferment, gas at the top, liquid at the bottom, thermowell. Bigger hole for cleaning. Have we missed anything?

Tahoose said:
Have we missed anything?
Yeah, the whole point of a conversion as opposed to using a standard keg. Without the cone with a 60° to 70° angle you won't direct/collect the trub for an easy dump. That's what this entire project is about.
Otherwise just use a keg? If cleaning is your issue just use one of these. They're $15 on eBay all day long and will fit the fitting you already have on top.

CIP_Spray_Ball.jpg

Tex N Oz said:
Yeah, the whole point of a conversion as opposed to using a standard keg. Without the cone with a 60° to 70° angle you won't direct/collect the trub for an easy dump. That's what this entire project is about.
Otherwise just use a keg? If cleaning is your issue just use one of these. They're $15 on eBay all day long and will fit the fitting you already have on top.
yeah but looking at the pic the ball won't fit through the hole! :p

Yob said:
you have a link to those on ebay? My google fu is letting me gown
Oh young grasshopper... You must first feel the chi.. :icon_drunk:

Here's the ones I was referring to. The 19mm will fit perfectly welded to a 1.5" sanitary fitting.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/19mm-51mm-Pipe-OD-Sanitary-Cleaning-Spray-Ball-OD-45mm-91mm-SS-SUS-316-HOT/321740553937?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Db77427dec34e45c08913f6d85036fda0%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D161466778274

Ok.. I get that not everyone is interested in building a fermenter as it does require a fair bit of TIG welding.
In the future I'll buy 200 of these and hire myself out as a "TIG gun for hire" and hopefully I can move these along.

I just gotta share my awesome welding hood.. It fits a "Yankstralian" to a tee..

Image00002.jpg

I'd be interested in 3 completed fermenters at the right price.

Would be interested in one. Don't think my plasma cutting/ tigging is up to it, my welder is a 3 in 1 ( mig/tig/stick ) and the tig is dc, no idea what the frequency is, can't adjust anyway. I've used this stuff http://www.solarflux.com instead of backing gas and it works OK, not sure if it's ok for a hygenic weld though.
Had looked at getting a brewhemoth from the states ( they're out of business now ) but the postage even via sea frieght was a killer and then the dollar dropped.They were a good size, 22 gallon ( @ 80l ) and skinny to fit easily in a fridge, but the cone wasn't as steep.
With regards to the CIP ball, you need a pump that can supply enough water at pressure to make em work properly, and most domestic pumps only handle water up to @40 C without potentially buggering the seals. Some of the brewhemoth guys did use sump pumps ( grey water pump ) without problems though.

Hi Seamad,
I have used Solarflux before and it does a great job for a lot of processes, however, for sanitary fit-ups it can't be used because it leaves a layer of residue. This residue is very hard to remove and if it's not removed can harbour bugs. Back purging is the best way but it does cost a whack more in equipment, setup time and argon.
A straight DC TIG machine can easily weld stainless steel. I use pulse frequency and duty cycle to control the width of the puddle and heat input. Stainless warps so easily it's not even funny. By keeping a narrow/deep puddle and controlling the heat input, you can get some amazing strong welds that are very obscure with little distortion to surrounding metal. If all I had was a straight DC machine, I would still give it a go. I'd just run short beads of about 25mm and let it cool, repeat.
As for cleaning, I think I've way over-thought the process and it will be quite easy.
Fill with 80°C cleaning solution. Fill to the top, let it sit over-night. Drain.
Pressure wash first through the cone side, then through the top side. Just a cheap Aldi pressure washer. Hand clean all the sanitary fittings.
put covers on all the ports, fill with about 5 litres of iodophor solution and give a good swish around. Set in the corner until it's needed again. Iodophor solution will stay active indefinitely absent anything that will absorb the iodine or react with it. Also, while resting, the iodine will gas out and keep everything sterile. Phosphoric acid based cleaners only sanitize what is in contact with the liquid.
If you really wanted to go all ballz and ensure even the hardiest of alien bugs are made dead, buy some bulk hydrogen peroxide and put a couple litres in at 12%. Nothing can survive that shit and it's no rinse as well, but that's serious overkill.

Tex N Oz said:
355mm is the diameter at the chime of a DIN keg. Carefully plasma cut at the chime and it's exactly 355mm and would give you a 60.5 litre fermenter.
Before anyone goes on a rant about illegal, knocked off commercial kegs, I'll add that you can buy brand new DIN kegs for $150 each and that would be the road to travel.
Used kegs wouldn't suit because even the slightest ding would put your critical weld at risk and it wouldn't be worth it. I calculate that with the price of a new keg, you could put together a very nice pressure fermentation vessel for about $350 that would fit nicely in many upright fridges. Go the extra mile and having it pickled, passivated and electro polished would make one sweet fermenter. There are a few companies here in Sydney that will do it for not a lot of money. Again, you don't want a nasty assed keg that been thrown off the back of a truck or rolled down stairs. You want a nice clean new one for something like this.
Would a KK keg be DIN?
If so, I'm keen to be part of this Bulk Buy, say 3 cones, and some more free instruction.
Would definitely want some advice on sourcing/ buying racking arms and flanges too.
I'm in. I'd love to see this get up.

Hey Les,
I'm not sure if his are Euros or DIN kegs. I'm sure he can get you anything you want though.
Iv'e seen a few come and go on eBay and I know they are readily available out of China for next to nothing if you search aliexpress.
The sanitary flanges are all over eBay and the racking arm is something you build or have someone build for you. My design is going to be a simple 19mm arm bend 90° to fit.
I'll probably build a few and put up for sale

Do a quick eBay search for "sanitary fittings" and you will come up with shitloads of sanitary clamp stuff from China land. I've never had any problems with their fittings but don't believe it when you read SS316..... I've had some tested and they are from 302 to 308 and everything in between. They weld fine and I'm not doing anything mil-spec, but they aint 316. That's bullshit..

For my intents and purposes, the $5 one made by some dude sitting on a dirt floor with a file in his hand works just as good as a $100 Triclover outta the states.\

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Pair-2-Pcs-2-51mm-Weld-on-Ferrule-Sanitary-Pipe-Fitting-SS316-PTFE-Gasket-/111410112495?hash=item19f08f67ef

Fair enough, should be easy enough to source 3 DINs from a legit supplier. May talk to NNL and see if they have availability and prices if we want a bulk buy? (I assume a min of 50).

Yeah I'm keen to go all stainless in the next few months.

Latest posts

Back