Exploding Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I had my first exploding bottle (or 2).

An Asahi style.

Its my understanding (perhaps incorrectly?) that there are two things thqat can lead to exploding bottles:

1) bottling before ferentation is complete
2) too much priming sugar in the bottle.

I'm pretty confident fermentation had finished so did i add too much sugar to the bottle? Its what i am thinking...
I used 640ml bottles from brewcraft and didnt bulk prime.

I have a measuring device for 750ml bottles adn estimated the amount to be used in the smaller bottles. Is it possible that I added just a bit too much and that caused the damage?

The temps have been relatively consistant while the beer has been sitting there.
I only just noticed the breackages yesterday which is about 4 weeks after bottling.

Of course I am keen to learn from my mistakes and avoid this again.

Hey Mate,

could also be an infection, either from the odd dirty bottles or caps or the entire batch

does it taste ok?

i'd be taking some real precautions with the remaining bottles.

Rob.

how did you determine that fermentation was complete? (eg airlock stopped bubling, checked hydrometer readings over 3 days etc)

I prime my 640ml bottle with the full measure as being plastic they need that little bit more. I would also guess at an infection. Open a bottle or two and have a taste.

QldKev

1) bottling before ferentation is complete
2) too much priming sugar in the bottle.

Add to that:
3) a combination of the above
4) A possible infection, as Rob pointed out
5) all of the above.

imo, in your case, it's most likely 3).

edit: as Gen asked....plus, what was the OG?FG? was enzyme used (does this type of beer use it, I'm not sure)? What were the fermentables?what yeast?

Dirty bottles is the only time I have ever had bombs, back in my early days of brewing...

Could also be a faulty bottle. I've had a few go boom from hairline cracks in the glasss that develop.

Cheers - Snow

Thanks for the replies.

The FG was stable.

I hadnt considered possible infection as a cause.
Bottles are contaied in a pastic case but i will be cautious with the remainder

Latest posts

Back