Experiment Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minikeg1971

Reaction score
Hi all.

Thinking of boiling a 1kg box of Coopers BE3 (malt, dextrose & maltodextrin) and a Brigalow Galaxy hops 10g satchet for 45mins.

When cooled, i plan to dump it in a fermenter with a box of Coopers LDME 500g. Add 10 litres of water. Safale 05 yeast.

Worthwhile doing? I welcome all comments.

Thanks.

Hi all.

Thinking of boiling a 1kg box of Coopers BE3 (malt, dextrose & maltodextrin) and a Brigalow Galaxy hops 10g satchet for 45mins.

When cooled, i plan to dump it in a fermenter with a box of Coopers LDME 500g. Add 10 litres of water. Safale 05 yeast.

Worthwhile doing? I welcome all comments.

Thanks.
Gash from Home brew network on YouTube did something similar to see how it would go. From memory it wasn’t bad just a bit thin.

Here’s the video

You haven't given the total volume, its just as important as any other bit of information.
Roughly if you made it to : -
15L OG 1.038 ~19 IBU
20L OG 1.029 ~ 14.5 IBU
23L OG 1.025 ~ 12 IBU
Sort of back of an envelope calculations based on the Galaxy being around 13.3%AA, lots of room for error in the IBU numbers.
As carrobrew suggests, might be a bit thin.
Mark

You haven't given the total volume, its just as important as any other bit of information.
Roughly if you made it to : -
15L OG 1.038 ~19 IBU
20L OG 1.029 ~ 14.5 IBU
23L OG 1.025 ~ 12 IBU
Sort of back of an envelope calculations based on the Galaxy being around 13.3%AA, lots of room for error in the IBU numbers.
As carrobrew suggests, might be a bit thin.
Mark

Was planning to make 10L. Your table above is extremely helpful. Thank you.

Its just
Mass Extract = Volume * SG (OG if you prefer) * oP (OG in Plato as a decimal)
If you put in what you know in this case Mass Extract is 1.5kg and the volume 10L.
Given SG=(4*P)/1000+1
If you are mathematically inclined you could rearrange the equation but I just shove it in Excel and use "Goal Seek" to find the OG. Data Tab, What If Analysis, Goal Seek...
Much more useful and flexible than a table, comes to around 1.057
1593079994252.png

I would be careful adding too much more Maltodextrin, it can get a bit thick and oily tasting if you use too much.
Mark

That malto-dextrine is sweet sickly unfermentable crap. Steer clear of it. The only body it adds is to ya guts mate. Read about it. Malted grain is cheap. Look into BIAB.

So i am guessing i shouldnt bother with the experiment then. Instead of maltodextrin, what would be better? BIAB is not yet on my radar...

Try a mini mash. Easy as shit and adds great freshness and more complexity. Cheap too. I followed the guide in below link. You could also add 100-200 grams of crystal for another flavour dimension.

I'm a bit pissed so take my advice with a grain of salt but should be pretty solid.

Pimping a Coopers Kit with a Partial Mash

Steeped caramalt of some kind. Maybe 100 gms in a 10 lt brew. Just like making a cup of tea. Let it steep for 1/2 an hour, strain and add. Look into mini-mash.

Latest posts

Back