Experience with plastic bottles.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBeatSab

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’m very new to brewing, yet to attempt my first.
But before I complete my kit I wanted to get the experienced opinion from brewers that have used plastic for bottling.

My cousin mentioned he knew a couple of long term brewers that used plastic bottles exclusively and he enjoyed the results, he’s a very experienced beer lover so I tend to trust his judgment on the topic.
Bakery owner too so he’s good for some free equipment also :)

Once I sort this out I’m about ready to start so I’m looking forward getting it out of the way.

All experiences appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Plastic bottles are fine. They are especially handy when you first start brewing and learning as they won’t burst like glass if you over prime or bottle too early.

You can also use plastic cubes as Kegs or casks. They are particularly good for real ale, better than unmodified kegs as the yeast settles below the tap not around a dip tube.

Last edited:
Plastic has worked well for me. Hot rinse immediately after emptying. Washing out any yeast, hops, or crud is important because, unlike glass, you cannot scrub them clean.

I'm using 1.25lt sparkling mineral water bottles from the stupormarket for 73cents each. Cheap enough to chuck out if things go wrong.

They are great, expensive to accumulate at first if you like to age your beers so need to have plenty of stock on hand. But once you have them they last and age and no boom!

So I have just finished bottling my first brew. And after taking into account the time involved with bottle preparation etc, I am now thinking about kegs.
I’ll go do some research on the subject. But surely it’s much faster than bottling. I guess there are always some cons as well.

So I have just finished bottling my first brew. And after taking into account the time involved with bottle preparation etc, I am now thinking about kegs.
I’ll go do some research on the subject. But surely it’s much faster than bottling. I guess there are always some cons as well.

Yeah, bottles are involving... I've bottled four batches and started planning & buying bits and pieces for kegging on a budget.
Kept it simple as: CO2 Bottle & Reg, a few Disconnects, Tubing + Clamps, Kegs + Repair Kits / Posts and a SST Pluto Gun.
Now I'm building two Spunding Valves, one will be used to brew in a Corny and the other for Fermentasaurus.
PS - Force carbing is a big bonus with kegging too IMHO :cheers:

Yeah, bottles are involving... I've bottled four batches and started planning & buying bits and pieces for kegging on a budget.
Kept it simple as: CO2 Bottle & Reg, a few Disconnects, Tubing + Clamps, Kegs + Repair Kits / Posts and a SST Pluto Gun.
Now I'm building two Spunding Valves, one will be used to brew in a Corny and the other for Fermentasaurus.
PS - Force carbing is a big bonus with kegging too IMHO :cheers:

Lol. That information is all Greek to me. Sounds like it would be worth setting something up tho to avoid the time bottling.
I have young kids on my own so time is my most valuable asset in life.

With PET bottles you can get carbonation caps that allow you to bottle (Draught) from the keg as another option as well. For takeaways etc. The best of both worlds.

With PET bottles you can get carbonation caps that allow you to bottle (Draught) from the keg as another option as well. For takeaways etc. The best of both worlds.
I use those caps, mainly to transfer from a keg to the bottle via counter pressure filling. I just uncouple the beer line from the shank and connect to the bottle.

A great way to share a brew, to take one for the road, to take a couple litres to a party without dragging and portable system around

You've just realised one of the great truths of brewing - bottling sucks. Get some kegs and don't look back!!

Latest posts

Back