Expensive Local Hbs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopsta

Reaction score
I wont mention any names, but This HB shop charges $10 per kilo of DME aswell as crushed pale malt, specialty malts are even dearer, neo pink is $10 for a kilo aswell, everything is expensive, theres another local supplier who is $2 cheaper per kilo for malts etc and is just cheaper all round.
Now they both get their stock off the same supplier, how should i approach this situation? I dont expect my local HBS to beat my new local suppliers prices but i would be happy if he could match them.
Should i just move on or should i ask him if he's willing to lower his prices?

Maybe i'll just put it to him, nothing to lose i spose....

Got one of them near me too...if the other place wasn't on the other side of town I wouldn't even bother with the local one! :ph34r:

PZ.

Hopsta

firstly I would buy a few bits from the other store just so see what they're like, but after that I would definitley try and barter him down. This will firstly let him know his competitors price, and you give him the option to match price so you're still giving him your business if that's what you want. I have done it a few times with a few different stores and most have been happy to match prices. As you say you've got nothing to lose, nor does the owner if he wants your business!

Hoops

Hopsta said:
I wont mention any names, but This HB shop charges $10 per kilo of DME aswell as crushed pale malt, specialty malts are even dearer,
[post="78411"][/post]​

If its the one I am thinking of I wouldn't bother too much. He's only interested in the basic kit market he doesn't feel that there is a market in the area for the more advanced stuff so he doesn't stock much and what he does stock is expenive. I did point out that I am in the area and therefore constitute a local market but he didn't seem that impressed. I pop in occasionally for little things like sanitiser where the trip to another shop would cost more than the price diference. the rest I order from Northern Districts and get product plus plenty of friendly advice delivered next day.

If it isn't the one I am thinking of then please disregard the above.

Cheers
Dave

Hmmmm, wonder if it is the one you are thinking of...??

I had a similar problem with a local shop, and they were about 4 times more for grain, when i asked why, he said because AG is a waste of time and its only there (in the shop) for idiot that insist on it (same reason he didn't stock liquid yeasts)

So this idiot now spends hundreds of home brew $$$ on the shop over the other side of the city, might take over 2 hrs return but they are great and they earn my money with cheap prices, help advice and they dont think i am a idiot for brewing with grain and liquid yeasts :)

Yeah,

I know that franchise... my local too. Good for bits and pieces in a hurry. I get my liquid yeasts from them too.

Where do you buy your stuff???

Cheers,
Jarrad

[/quote]

If its the one I am thinking of I wouldn't bother too much. He's only interested in the basic kit market he doesn't feel that there is a market in the area for the more advanced stuff so he doesn't stock much and what he does stock is expenive. I did point out that I am in the area and therefore constitute a local market but he didn't seem that impressed. I pop in occasionally for little things like sanitiser where the trip to another shop would cost more than the price diference. the rest I order from Northern Districts and get product plus plenty of friendly advice delivered next day.

If it isn't the one I am thinking of then please disregard the above.

Cheers
Dave
[post="78474"][/post]​
[/quote]

Yeh Dave your onto the right shop, you could be right, i couldnt really picture him lowering his prices he does seem focussed only on the kits. Oh well i got my last lot of ingredients off Gerard and was happy with the delivery times aswell as saving some $$$. Its just good to be able to walk into a shop, but i'm willing to avoid that if it puts holes in my pocket! ;)

Jazzafish said:
Yeah,

I know that franchise... my local too. Good for bits and pieces in a hurry. I get my liquid yeasts from them too.

Where do you buy your stuff???

Cheers,
Jarrad
[post="78493"][/post]​

Jazzafish i think you might be referring to CB thornleigh? i wasnt talking about them, but yes they are just as bad if not worse. As you said, good for simple stuff like yeast but thats about it.

Hopsta said:
Yeh Dave your onto the right shop, you could be right, i couldnt really picture him lowering his prices he does seem focussed only on the kits.

I can't really blame him for that, I popped in there when he first opened and had a chat to find out whether he would carry specialty grains (and pop in from time to time for small things). He's lived in the area for years and has done his homework. There are dozens of kit brewers in the area and he can count the number of perople who ask him about the advanced stuff on one hand. The most advanced question he usually gets is "which kilo should I add to that?"

If you think about it there really aren't enough ag brewers in Sydney to support more than one or two outlets. We have Gerard and ESB that I know of so thats about right. The rest of the shops cater to the much larger kit & kilo market.

Cheers
Dave

Back