Expectations of clarity

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verysupple

Supremely mediocre brewer
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a couple of brews that are confusing me.

The first brew was an english strong bitter made with Maris Otter and crystal with Wyeast1318. The second was a MO SMaSH with Wyeast1056. Both were CC'd for at least 3 days.

The Wyeast website says 1318 is highly flocculant and that 1056 is medium-low flocculant and "Normally requires filtration for bright beers.". So I figured the 1318 beer would end up much clearer than the 1056, but it's the opposite :huh:. The 1318 is quite cloudy while I can read the newspaper quite easily through the 1056.

My question is if the crystal malt, or something else unrelated to the yeast, is the cause of the cloudiness, or if my yeast is just behaving differently to when they test it in the Wyeast lab?

PS. I don't actually care that much about the beer being cloudy, I'm just curious becuase I don't like it when things turn out different to how I expected :p.

Occam's Razor: You mixed up the yeasts. :ph34r:

Ha, that would explain everything. Except I only bought the second yeast after the first batch was already fermenting.

Back