Excessive Head

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

Reaction score
I have made some shockers in the past (hopefully all behind me know with everybody's help from here) including a couple of brews that were over-primed to blazes. Whenever I'd open them I'd get a gusher out of the neck of the bottle and have to nigh on freeze it to get a half decent amount in the glass. Having learnt by those mistakes I thought that I had that particular part of the process down pat.

However I made a wheat beer some time ago (ESB Kit). It has quite a nice flavour but whenever I pour from one of the bottles I get a very, very large head. Untill I start to pour it though it seems fine and dandy.

I've tried chilling the bottles to almost freezing, cold glasses, room temp glasses, pouring slowly etc etc. Interestingly, when I open the bottle there is just the normal reassuring 'pop' sound and the bit sits quite contentedly in the bottle. It doesn't rush up to meet me or anything.

Is this a function of the wheat malt or what else might I have done wrong?

Trev

i dont know anything about your problem (except i know if my glasses are too cold i get decent head)

but i had to pop in to say that my first thoughts when i read the title was 'No such thing'

"Generally speaking" wheat beers have huge foaming heads. They're meant to be served that way too.

Is it just initial head that dies down, or is it continually foaming over out of the glass? What is the visible carbonation level like ?

Kook,

Yeah, I'm expecting a fair head on this type of beer but I actually end up with about 80% foam and 20% liquid when I first pour - no matter how slowly.

The head dies down, takes a little while, maybe just a bit longer than normal.

The visible carbonation also looks fine, certainly not excessive. If I didn't know better I'd just say that the beer just doesn't want to leave the bottle and is having it's own little protest.

GSRman - maybe I should have reread the heading on my post :D

Latest posts

Back