Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disregard the packet. Rehydrate the yeast in some 25 degree water (I use a beer glass) for 30 mins before pitching. One packet is heaps!

Yep I used one packet and it ripped along quite nicely, as Neill has said just make sure you rehydrate it

I did notice that the notto scrubbed out the aroma/flavour pretty bad, next time I do it I think I will use US05, i reckon its not as aggressive towards hop oils as notto is. I did sample it with only a week in the bottle to, so might me the malt extract hiding it a bit as well, it did taste very malty

wanna put this one down today but just wanna know if there is a difference between LME and LME (pale) my LHBS has the coopers LME cans but it doesn't mention pale on the can anywhere?

Just make sure u get the unhopped light/pale LME. dont do what i did and get 2 tins of pale ale kits. the bitterness was a bit too intense. was still drinkable though.

I did notice that the notto scrubbed out the aroma/flavour pretty bad, next time I do it I think I will use US05, i reckon its not as aggressive towards hop oils as notto is.

Opinions on this point?

I'm about to put this one down......should I go with the US-05?

Hi all.
Long time reader first time posting.
I put this recipe down 5 days ago along with 250g steeped crystal, the boil and wort smelt and tasted fantastic. Gravity is down to 1018 and falling. Cant wait to get this into the bottles and maturing!!
Just out of curiosity was wondering if anyone can compare this to any beers on the market? Just to ease my impatience.
Cheers

I did notice that the notto scrubbed out the aroma/flavour pretty bad, next time I do it I think I will use US05, i reckon its not as aggressive towards hop oils as notto is. I did sample it with only a week in the bottle to, so might me the malt extract hiding it a bit as well, it did taste very malty

Opinions on this point?

I'm about to put this one down......should I go with the US-05?
You could always try a good liquid yeast like Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, or 1056. They're both great yeasts that would suit this beer down to the ground, since trying liquid yeast I know I wont be touching us05 unless Im desperate. For a couple of extra dollars your beer will thank you with every sip.

Hi all,

So I have finally succomb to the masses and put this down tonight. My first fully temp controlled brew. Waiting on the wort to get down to 18 before pitching, however the question I have is regading the OG. I have just taken a sample and it is only 1044. I followed the recipe to the letter so not sure why the difference.

Will this be a major issue or will I just have a less alcoholic beer?

Cheers,
Mut

Hi all,

So I have finally succomb to the masses and put this down tonight. My first fully temp controlled brew. Waiting on the wort to get down to 18 before pitching, however the question I have is regading the OG. I have just taken a sample and it is only 1044. I followed the recipe to the letter so not sure why the difference.

Will this be a major issue or will I just have a less alcoholic beer?

Cheers,
Mut

what did you use mate?

what did you use mate?

2 x 1.5kg pale LME
500g Dextrose
200g steeped Heritage Crystal malt
20g centennial @ 30
40g amarillo @ 20
40g amarillo @ 10

Will be pitching rehydrated Notto yeast. Did 4 litre boil (biggest pot) with 750g LME, steeped crystal liquid and balance water.

I took the hydrometer sample straight away - should I maybe take another one now?

Thoughts?

I bought the stuff to make this up, but only bought one sachet (11gms) of the Nottingham yeast.

The packet says usage rate 1g/L - so do I need a second pack?

You should be right with one packet, just make sure to least rehydrate it prior to pitching it would be better if you could make a starter and watch it take off like a rocket.

Regarding yeasts, I have always found that US-05 scrubs more hop flavour and aroma out than the notto? But I only did a few batches with US05 so my sample size is small.....

muthead; your hydrometer is probably a bit off, or the temp of the liquid you sampled was higher. Don't stress.

Regarding yeasts, I have always found that US-05 scrubs more hop flavour and aroma out than the notto? But I only did a few batches with US05 so my sample size is small.....

muthead; your hydrometer is probably a bit off, or the temp of the liquid you sampled was higher. Don't stress.

Neill, what of the comments "notto scrubbed out the aroma/flavour pretty bad" and "You could always try a good liquid yeast like Wyeast 1272 American Ale II, or 1056"?

I've already got the Notto.....

Put down one of these yesterday as one of my last extracts before going AG after the new year.

Made to 25L

3kg Muntons DLME, 560g dextrose, 30g Centennial 30 min, 45g Amarillo 20 min, 45g Amarillo at 10 min and used Nottingham.

OG 1056

Use the nottingham. There are 100g of fruity hops in there late in the boil. It won't be under hopped.

Hi Guys,

I'm started using Ian's spreadsheet, but what would I class this beer as where its asks for Beer Style? Would you say and Australian Pale Ale, APA?

Also, what FG aiming for as a rule?

Assistance appreciated.

Mut

Just letting everyone know I'm drinking this out of a keg ATM down at Phillip island and everyone loves it!

Hi all,

Really simple question - on IanH spreadsheet what beer style should this come under? I have it as an Australian Pale Ale for calculation purposes - does this sound right?

Cheers,
Mut

I added 1kg of dextrose instead of 500g, other than making it more alcoholic, what will happen to it?

BUMP!!! :D

Hi All,

I made this one last night after reading the entire thread. This brew gets a great wrap off everyone who has brewed it so I thought I would give it a go.
I made some slight variations due to the ingredients I had lying around at the time.

Here is what it did with a 5 liter boil, 500g's of LME and the steeped grains.

1.5kg Amber LME
1kg Light DME
1kg Beer Enchancer (Brigalows :huh:)
250g CaraMalt (30mins @66c)

Hops:
20g Centennial 45mins
40g Amarillo 20mins
25g Amarillo 10min
10g Simcoe 10 mins

Irish Moss @ 10mins

Yeast:
US-05