Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracked open my first one today, in preperation for July 4th. Only 2 weeks in the bottle, not fully carbonated, but oh, so good. Hats off to the creator of this recipe! Anyone who says that you can't make great beer from extracts is a ......:)

Sweet.

Ditch the draught can next time and make it from all extract - much better i reckon

enjoy!

Yeah i've made a few myself. I tweaked the hops schedle a little bit though. It kept coming out too bitter for some reason. Other than that it is a top brew and i'm glad that i have nearly 8 cartons of it in the shed :) Indeed, everyone should make this!!

I've got another week of bottle conditioning till I get to try this little monster !!

Ok... so clearly I was a little impatient in trying this one... but WOW. What a great tasting beer Neill. If it tastes this good after only bottle conditioning for a week and half, I can't wait till it gets some age under it's belt.

No overpowering flavours, well balanced... great taste. I'm well pleased I used this for my first extract brew. If anyone is umming and ahhing about it... do it, you won't regret making this one I tells ya !

Neill (or anyone else still watching this thread)... I do have one question though. When I made the brew, I measured into a jug 500ml of the Light LME, as Neill's recipe was for 1/3 a can... 1.5kg can - I mistakenly presumed - would be 500ml. Clearly not... I realised after I had poured it into the pot, that LME is heavier than water, so 500ml doesn't equate to 500gm, as the tin is 1.1L with a weight of 1.5kg. D'oh. And after watching ThirstyBoy looking so awesomely clever with his refractometerthingiewhadyacallit at the recent GnG brew demo, I understand the importance of measuring my wort to 1040 before starting the hop boil.

Would this mean that my ability to draw the bitterness from the hops would have been reduced ?

Oh yeah... this might help... OG was 1046 and FG 1012, so no problems there...

edit: speulling

yeah you might find your bitterness is a bit out mate, live and learn i guess! Sg at 1040 is pretty important for consistent bittering between batches i've found.

Glad you guys are liking this one!

you have no idea how much neil, no idea, its a big hit for me and the boys. :drinks:

Q. if you were to replace the dextrose what would you recommend ?

I guess that depends on why you would want to replace the dextrose?

My experience is very limited as this is my first extract brew, but from what I've read extract brews tend to have a relatively high FG. A little dextrose is added to combat the resulting sweetness and bump the alcohol % up a little.

You could replace the dextrose with simple white sugar if you had to.

The Muzz is exactly right. I find the body too "thick" if you use all malt extract, and the FG is higher which accentuates that. We use the dex to thin it down a bit.

Thanks Neil :)

Will give it a go,
just like avoiding any dex / sugars etc.

What are your experiences using ldme versus lme ?
more less body, darkening etc...

Cheers

I don't like dried malt extract much. I can't quite put my finger on why but every batch i've made using DME has had issues with the body of the beer being a bit "strange". I much prefer the taste and mouthfeel you get from liquid extract, i think it might be more "rounded" if that describes it better?

Hi all my ingrediants just arrived so cant wait to try my first extract. On the yeast it says to hydrate is that recommended? or just pitch straight in?
amarillo 8.2%
centenial9.9%
Do I stick to original quantities with these..

Thanks for all the tips...

You'll be fine to just pitch it dry without hydrating. Hydrating is a way of "proofing" the yeast to make sure it's viable, also help to reduce lag time. I've never done it and have never had an issue

had my first bottle of this last night, yum yum yum.
Delightful taste and aroma, although the after taste seemed a bit lacking - or non existant, I guess not bitter enough.

But still, I will be making it again, thankyou for a great recipe.

Hi People,

This is my first post on this forum. In the short time I've known about it, it's been a tremendous help!

I made this recipe yesterday evening, it was my first go at using liquid malt extract and a hop schedule. I also added some grain just to have a go at that too. It was good fun!

Although I'd read that it's not really neccessary to hydrate dry yeast, I was curious to see what it was like. So I also did this with a packet of Nottingham and proofed it with a teaspoon on sugar. It went crazy - good sign.

Had the majority of the water sitting in the fermentor, followed by yeast, followed by cooled wort then topped up with an extra litre of water to make it 21 L. Initial SG was 1060 and it's sitting in a room that goes between 18 and 19 degrees.

So far there has been no action - but it's only been 12 hours so I know there is no need to panic.

My question is; what experiences have you had with Nottingham yeast? Lag times? Pitching temps? Best fermentation temps?

Cheers.

Hi People,

This is my first post on this forum. In the short time I've known about it, it's been a tremendous help!

I made this recipe yesterday evening, it was my first go at using liquid malt extract and a hop schedule. I also added some grain just to have a go at that too. It was good fun!

Although I'd read that it's not really neccessary to hydrate dry yeast, I was curious to see what it was like. So I also did this with a packet of Nottingham and proofed it with a teaspoon on sugar. It went crazy - good sign.

Had the majority of the water sitting in the fermentor, followed by yeast, followed by cooled wort then topped up with an extra litre of water to make it 21 L. Initial SG was 1060 and it's sitting in a room that goes between 18 and 19 degrees.

So far there has been no action - but it's only been 12 hours so I know there is no need to panic.

My question is; what experiences have you had with Nottingham yeast? Lag times? Pitching temps? Best fermentation temps?

Cheers.

It's the "P" word - patience!! Sounds like you did everything just right - just sit back, relax, and in about 3 to 4 weeks you'll have one of the best brews you've ever tasted! As I posted earlier, mine is a bit of a hybrid - I used a Coopers Traditional Draught for one of the cans of LME - but I shared some with some super hophead freinds of mine this afternoon and they were extremely impressed. And they were all-grain snobs!! Don't let that scare you - the beauty of this recipe is that while a it is a hoppy beer, it doesn't make you wince when you drink it - pure perfection!

Hi People,

Cheers.

I put my second batch of this brew down on Saturday. I made a 1L yeast starter with nottingham 2 days before brew day. Lag time was less than 12 hrs after pitching into the fermenter.
I'm sure it will fire up, just give it time.
Also to note, the original recipe is for 23L which should give ~4.9% alcohol. As yours is 21L, it'll lead to a bit of a stronger drop, in alcohol and probably hop aroma/flavour/bitterness.

Thanks guys,

Muzz - I must have missed the part in the recipe which says 23L. Not to worry, I quite like some hoppiness.

I'll keep an eye on it an report back here when the yeast kicks in!

Thanks again.

Back