Ever left a restaurant after looking at the beer menu?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
A few weeks back my lovely lady and I went out for dinner to a place that was suggested as having good food. We sat down and the waiter brought us over the drinks menu.

Corona
Carlton Draught
VB
Stella Artois
Cascade light

I asked if they maybe had some stout at least. His reply "Whats stout"

So I looked at the missus said "Lets go eat somewhere else" and we left. Now I dont consider myself to be a beer snob but come off it. This was a place known for its fancy meals and all they had was that crap. Lesson learnt though, now when I phone up to book a table I ask what beer they serve.

Yah. Stout pairs well with EVERYTHING.

You could have ordered the Stella and paid a ridiculous amount for a locally brewed beer. Snob

Way to go to disappoint the 'missus' who was no doubt looking forward to nice meal. There are times when wankery is best left at home. Gossip with the ladies this weekend.... you know it.

Don't dine out with that guy. To embarrassing.

bum said:
Yah. Stout pairs well with EVERYTHING.
No it doesn't.

But I have on occasion been to a restaurant that had stout, not on the beer menu but in the fridge as they used it in the kitchen, so was happy to pour me one. And it would have been better than drinking the other crap they had. I would have made sure I ordered a meal to suit then..lol

Cube said:
Way to go to disappoint the 'missus' who was no doubt looking forward to nice meal. There are times when wankery is best left at home. Gossip with the ladies this weekend.... you know it.

Don't dine out with that guy. To embarrassing.
Firstly, shes my wife. So wouldn't be telling anyone else not to dine out with me...Well actually she would but not for that reason.

Secondly shes a craft beer fan as well and hated everything on the beer menu too. She also loves a nice stout or IPA and loves my home brew although doesn't drink as much as I do. So she was happy to leave and find somewhere else anyway.

And thirdly if she wanted to stay I would have and probably just had a whiskey or a red wine. :)

This was covered in great detail in a thread only a month or so ago about how Australian restaurants have shit beer menus.

Anyway, my response is no I have not because I love wine almost as much as I love beer so I'm happy to drink awesome wine with awesome food. The beer can wait until I get home.

That's a pretty lame beer list, but I doubt that I'd walk. After all, you did go there for a nice meal. Either go with the best of a bad choice, or order a wine and enjoy the evening.

FWIW I'd be content to drink Stellas.

phoneyhuh said:
This was covered in great detail in a thread only a month or so ago about how Australian restaurants have shit beer menus.
He may have even instigated that discussion. I am certain he mentioned the stout thing then.

You could also ask; Have you ever left a restaurant after looking at the menu of cocktails? Or rather have you left a restaurant after eating and then headed to a nice cocktail bar?

bum said:
He may have even instigated that discussion. I am certain he mentioned the stout thing then.
Nope sorry wasn't me. I don't even recall even reading a thread about that. Happy to be proved wrong but I don't remember it and I certainly didn't start it.

phoneyhuh said:
You could also ask; Have you ever left a restaurant after looking at the menu of cocktails? Or rather have you left a restaurant after eating and then headed to a nice cocktail bar?
Well if this was a cocktail forum and we were all cocktail fans then yes.

When I go out for dinner its to enjoy everything. Good food and a decent beer. I'm not really a wine or a spirits drinker and either is my wife. We didnt like the beer there so decided to go elsewhere. And that was our choice.

Truman said:
Nope sorry wasn't me. I don't even recall even reading a thread about that. Happy to be proved wrong but I don't remember it and I certainly didn't start it.
Not actually in the thread I recall but here's the post:

Truman said:
I took Shalla and Belle to Daveys for dinner. Not a bad feed. I asked the barmaid "Do you have any stout", she looked at me and said "Whats that?.. :rolleyes:

Saw the Fat Yak on tap and was a bit hesistant, but had it anyway and was pleasantly surprised. You could smell the hop aroma as soon as she put it down on the bar.

Ok so on two occasions I've had a waiter or a barmaid say "What's stout". Not very surprising considering my wife and I both drink it and most younger barstaff wouldnt come across it especially if they didnt sell it. But this thread has nothing to do with that which was June last year and they clearly did have decent beer because I had the fat yak.

The restaurant in question was Yaringa Marina in Somerville.

Truman said:
A few weeks back my lovely lady and I went out for dinner to a place that was suggested as having good food. We sat down and the waiter brought us over the drinks menu.

Corona
Carlton Draught
VB
Stella Artois
Cascade light
i'm surprised they had corona on the rsl menu

As an omni-drinker myself (wine, beer, spirits), I'm always blown away that restaurants have a 10 page tiny font booklet of wine choices when 90% of people couldn't pick a Shiraz from a Cabernet, let alone two Shiraz from two different vineyards, so why do they need to offer 20 bottles per variety?

Then you get to the beer and it's Australian lager, Australian lager, Australian lager, Australian lager, maybe some kind of foreign lager that's basically the same, maybe a Coopers pale ale. ******* Corona, probably.

Seems to me like there is a much greater variety of beer than there is variety of wine. Even the snobbiest wine drinker has to admit that on a basic level red is red, white is white, and while there are of course major differences between varieties of wine it's nothing like beer where there are dozens of completely unique, independent styles.

Back