Ever Had The Bottom Of A Fermenter Drop Out?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan WABC

Reaction score
Yesterday, while carrying 26 litres of Honey Raspberry Wheat from the spare room to the kitchen, I thought to myself, "Imagine if the arse of this fermenter blew out and I lost the lot!"

Scary thought.

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I've shattered the bottom out of a glass carboy, and have seen a better bottle crack after being dropped while full. Never seen hardcore damage to a regular fermenter though.

No but I broke my second bottle using a hammer capper and it was a Coopers longneck. Good job I stand the bottles to be capped in a plastic bucket saves the carpet.

I know I should dust off the wallet and buy a bench capper but I keep waiting on one coming up secondhand cheapskate. :icon_offtopic:

Re you talking about a glass fermenter or plastic.? Cannot see the bottom falling out of a plastic fermenter even though they tend to get brittle with old age.

Talking about a plastic one. Mine is about 8 years old now and has seen many brews!

Talking about a plastic one. Mine is about 8 years old now and has seen many brews!

8 years and counting here too, mate! No dramas. My original fermenter must've seen 150 brews by now. The bottom is still as firm as the day I picked her up. Like the missus'....

No but I broke my second bottle using a hammer capper and it was a Coopers longneck. Good job I stand the bottles to be capped in a plastic bucket saves the carpet.

I know I should dust off the wallet and buy a bench capper but I keep waiting on one coming up secondhand cheapskate. :icon_offtopic:

mate you REALLY need a bench capper. When I first got into brewing someone explained how a hand capper worked and I thought "FK THAT!". glad I decided to go straight to the bench capper!

I've never had any damage to a fermenter or bottles during the brewing process. But I have worried about dropping a full fermenter on occasion. and that would be nothing short of tragedy!

I have had one of the red lid round Bunnings specials self destruct (explode) carrying it while full.
Ok I now know that I shouldn't have left it outside in the weather for a month before use (apparently they are not UV stable and will become brittle).
Fortunately I lost 40 litres of PBW on the back lawn and not dopplebock in the brewhouse.

Haha. Harry

Back