Ever had an infection that tasted great?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJez

Reaction score
I have a bad batch currently :( it just started fermenting before I pitched. Only bad batch in a long time.

This particular recipe had fruit which I may have added once it wasn't quite hot enough to kill off bacteria so now it's going gangbusters

Question: are all wild yeasts terrible or is it possible it could turn out good?

Anything's possible and as it's already fermenting you will find out anyway. My first infection turned into good snail bait (they love drowning in beer) as it was undrinkable. My second was drinkable, so I told myself it was a Belgium and didnt share it with friends.

Ha. That's hilarious! Thanks man. It does smell pretty funky like a hefe might so we'll see I guess..

Anyone ever tried re boiling if caught early enough? Dunno if this is a possibility (I doubt it)

On my last hef, I pulled a hydrometer sample early on to watch the gravity drop. While sitting on the counter, it ended up with some wild yeast and tasted delicious. I seriously considered how to harvest that yeast and use it. So infection could be delicious. Time will tell.

You can reboil. Kettle soured beers are made by introducing bugs to the wort and leaving for 24-48 hours before boiling once the desired pH is reached.

I’ve had a few mild infections that have had a tartness to a beer that wasn’t unpleasant and was enjoyed by lots of people and have also found that if beer gets too sour adding some chalk can take the edge off.

Back