Ever Been So Distracted While Brewing...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumDum

Reaction score
I found myself brewing a Pumpkin Ale this afternoon while cooking dinner for my family. Dinner got to a busy point in the preparation and I completely forgot to add the brown sugar and molasses to the boil. :blink: I realized my mistake when the brew was cooled to only 205F (96.1C). I added my last two ingredients and continued cooling the wort. What an idiot I am. In my defense I was finishing a kegging project I was trying to squeeze in as well. Next weekend I'll stick to one task... brewing!

Ever been distracted and forgot a step or ingredient?

My last brew day I was busy getting my new aeration stone sorted after I had added the koppafloc and yeast nutrient that I forgot the 10 min hop addition.
I was just about to start the flow through to the chiller when I realised. Fired up the burner again and got it back to the boil and added the late hops.
I guess the beer will be a little bit more bitter.

Beers,
Doc

Kettle flocculant too often...

I've now written on my kettle in marking pen "FLOCCED YET?" Hopefully this will do the trick.

Currently fermenting a soon to be "Cloudy APA" B)

Ashe for now

O'h yeah.... used to wonder off while sparging and overflow the mash tun a bit too. Fixed that when I built my new brewery (I installed a float switch)

I uhm, well got distracted one day, and forgot totally about the wort boiling away. After a 2 hour boil, it was kinda bitter.

With 3 little "helpers" I have had a few times where I have been distracted enough.
But the time I got most distracted was when my "helpers" were not even there. :blink:
I totally forgot the hops at 15 mins and at 1 min. Must've been enjoying the quiet too much.
I did end up with an ok beer I suppose.

cheers
johnno

my brew on saturday.
decided whilst it was boiling i would go and do a bit of fencing repairs.then wandered inside for a cool down.wandered back outside and looked at my timer.
opps.near the end of the 60min boil and ive forgotten 3 hop additions and the whirlfloc.extended the boil to accomadate some hops and whirfloc and a quick cool down.
now all ive gotta do is hope it turns out ok.
still hit og spot on though. :)

cheers
big d

man, brewing and making dinner??! thats talent. no way i would plan on doing anything else while brewing. i may have some music going, but thats about it. im not organised enough to tackle anything else while brewing.
joe

joecast said:
man, brewing and making dinner??! thats talent. no way i would plan on doing anything else while brewing. i may have some music going, but thats about it. im not organised enough to tackle anything else while brewing.
joe
[post="46290"][/post]​
I only take on dinner while brewing when its getting late and the natives are getting restless. I'm just glad they'll eat almost anything I cook.

I've started to take on tasks during the boil that I'd normally save for after. I get everything cleaned up as much as possible so when it's pitching time, I'm most of the way to being cleaned up. I was trying to cram too much into the boil period this time with kegging a Chupacabra and starting dinner (stuffed Poblano Peppers). I'm just glad I didn't screw it up.

I tried for awhile to cut down the brew time from 6 hours to around 4, but found my beer was suffering so I just count on at least 6 hours now.

I was distracted by different visitors just popping in during a brew recently and when it came to pump the wort thru the CFWC I forgot to turn the cold water on to get it cool first.
I had pumped about two litres before I realised what I had done so I had to cool the brew in the fridge before pitching the yeast. :eek:
I like to start my brew day really early if I can as it allways seems to go a lot smoother that way.
I have got one on the go as I type ( water heating at 6.15am )
I think it is because one is allways tempted to embibe if it is a little later in the day :lol: :beer: :party:
Cheers

dicko said:
I think it is because one is allways tempted to embibe if it is a little later in the day :lol: :beer: :party:
Cheers
[post="46314"][/post]​
Yeah, I have to watch that as well or no hops actually make it in the kettle! :unsure:

I have been at the local Bunnings store when I remembered that I had the boil going and it hadn't reached boil-over yet. Got home to find the kettle half empty and a huge sticky mess.

I've learned my lesson.

Always start my brews early in the morning nowdays. Used to start them about 7pm and finish somewhere after midnight. I don't sample whilst brewing anymore either. Couple of years ago a combination of too much sampling and a particularly late night caused me to fall asleep whilst the wort chilled.

3 hours + of running the tap got the wort nice and chilled :blink:

Warren -

Back