Eucalypt For Mash Paddle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ces

Reaction score
hey guys,

this may not be the best place for this topic but anyway... when i finally have my rig up and running i would like to make a mash paddle from timber sourced from my family property. far and away, the most common fallen timber available there is some sort of gum (mostly river gum).

however common sense tells me that eucalyptus oil will likely leach from the wood into the mash. not sure if the timber holds a significant amount of the oil compared to the leaves anyway... also, i don't think it would be toxic (like say, pine) but just not a flavour you would want in your beer (although a eucalypt beer might be interesting).

anyone tried this before or knows whether gum is suitable for a mash paddle?

thanks for the help

edit- i just realised that posting in the all-grain forum highlights the topic... pretty new here. didn't mean to do that as it's slighty off topic but the topic that got me thinking was in this forum

May be best to seal it, for cleanliness, durability, and to stop flavours leeching into wort.

i just wouldnt want flavour leeching.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oil#Safety_and_toxicity

I would expect that dry fallen timber has none or very little oil in it.
Smell it when you cut it and compare it to green timber.
I reckon a bit of gum tree in the booze would be ok anyway.
A GREAT DISCOVERY.TRULY AUSSIE BEER.

As long as the fallen tree has been seasoned (left to dry for 12 months or more) you should be fine.

I feel guilty every winter using red gum from my in-laws property in my s/c heater, if only i was any good with tools.

Latest posts

Back