EU Referendum!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welly2 said:
I don't believe that is actually the case. There's a video doing the rounds recorded by a professor of european law which clearly explains Britain's role in Europe, the power we do actually have (that the leave campaign are trying to convince everyone otherwise) and while he states he is biased to an extent, it's worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USTypBKEd8Y
Surprised he didn't mention anybody with an EU passport being able to travel, live and work in the UK, which seems to have a lot of peoples dander up.

Is this from monty pyton cross out "What have the Romans ever done for us" and replace with EU .

As far as I can tell (from outside) a lot of the leave campaign has been based around anti imigration xenophobia. Its not ecconomic considerations driving the leave vote its xenopobia and rampant nationalism.

I find this very worrying. Brexit, UKIP and that moron Farage, the rise of trump in the US, the return of Pauline Hanson, the continuing political existance of Abbot...

Dark times my friends. Dark times indeed.

Airgead said:
As far as I can tell (from outside) a lot of the leave campaign has been based around anti imigration xenophobia. Its not ecconomic considerations driving the leave vote its xenopobia and rampant nationalism.

I find this very worrying. Brexit, UKIP and that moron Farage, the rise of trump in the US, the return of Pauline Hanson, the continuing political existance of Abbot...

Perhaps its just a backlash against cringe worthy liberal / leftist political correctness and cultural relativism.
I cant in all honesty believe any person with so much as a scintilla of a functioning brain could not see the likes of Hanson and Trump as the irresponsible unlettered morons they are, much less vote for them.

Britex, meh. Trump? Genuinely ******* scary.

There's a lot more to it than xenophobia and Australia has a lot to learn (but won't, will just keep on reinventing the wheel as usual)
Most of the leave voters are in areas that I know quite well, rust belt areas that once had thriving steelworks, mines, factories and a "proud and honest" working class, that I came from myself.

Since probably the Seventies, vast areas of the UK that were once great places to live have turned into something resembling the former Soviet Union but with pizza delivery with grinding poverty and increasing social lawlessness.
At the same time they are taunted by images of Londoners in particular in their penthouses and swanning around in their Bentleys while the Tories cut benefits and evict people because they have too many bedrooms in their council houses. We are just starting to see this trend in Australia... when the car industry finally leaves, I'd expect someone from the Rhondda Valley in Wales could visit Elizabeth in SA and feel quite at home.

Whether they get any benefit out of Brexit is doubtful, but it was really a vote for any bloody thing other than the miserable situation they are in.

Scotland voted largely to remain, but with the prospect of a Tory government in Westminster for a generation, they'll be jumping ship fairly quickly back to Europe.

Bring on the games.

edit: Good summaries going on in the Guardian online. Northern Ireland could also secede, and there'll no longer be a U.K. - just a country called maybe "Greater England" which will make the Welsh right peeved as well.

Airgead said:

agreed. so much fear-mongering and little basis in fact being a large part of campaigning of late.

As a half-POM... F*ck Nigel Farage. F*ck the UK... I'm making German Beers for the next 6 months...

Anyone got a good Bock or Dunkel recipe???

Dave70 said:
Perhaps its just a backlash against cringe worthy liberal / leftist political correctness and cultural relativism.
I cant in all honesty believe any person with so much as a scintilla of a functioning brain could not see the likes of Hanson and Trump as the irresponsible unlettered morons they are, much less vote for them.

Britex, meh. Trump? Genuinely ******* scary.
What Dave said.

The rise/re-emergence of populist far right wing politics (Trump, Hanson, et. al.) is in direct response to the pendulum in Western politics starting to swing too far to the left. You can only tell the people that what they think/believe is wrong for so long before they start to look for someone more aligned with their views.

They're also a symptom of Western democracies appearing to be hamstrung on any real, meaningful reform. Any moderate from either end of the spectrum putting forward good policy soon gets shouted down by those further to the right/left than themselves and the debate is dragged into populist sloganeering and me-tooism rather than a reasoned debate on good policy. Enter someone at the extreme right who promises to "get things done" and take things back to "the way things used to be!" (I will make America great again!) and you have a recipe for modern political success.

It frustrates the shit out of me as someone who takes in interest in politics and good governance, but if I go any further this post would be more suited to the "get it off your chest thread".

Fraser's BRB said:
What Dave said.

The rise/re-emergence of populist far right wing politics (Trump, Hanson, et. al.) is in direct response to the pendulum in Western politics starting to swing too far to the left. You can only tell the people that what they think/believe is wrong for so long before they start to look for someone more aligned with their views.

They're also a symptom of Western democracies appearing to be hamstrung on any real, meaningful reform. Any moderate from either end of the spectrum putting forward good policy soon gets shouted down by those further to the right/left than themselves and the debate is dragged into populist sloganeering and me-tooism rather than a reasoned debate on good policy. Enter someone at the extreme right who promises to "get things done" and take things back to "the way things used to be!" (I will make America great again!) and you have a recipe for modern political success.

It frustrates the shit out of me as someone who takes in interest in politics and good governance, but if I go any further this post would be more suited to the "get it off your chest thread".
Combine that with an economic depression and that is how the next Hitler rises to power.

I reckon it's got alot to do with money. Worked with travelling UK guys who praised AUS to me for our awards system and fair wages. They told me that eastern bloc fellas had cut all the locals to shit in labour prices and it fucked them over big time. This happens here and well...457.

May I add that many " International" so fn called posh hotels in Melbourne are using labour under very dodgy arrangements and no one ever seems to give a shit. In 50 years will we have a Ausexit with a certain asian country or will it be bang you dead?

As I posted, happening here more and more, with exactly the same patterns engineered by the one percent.

Referendum: Australia to leave the planet and set up anew on planet Zrrrgoss.

Bribie G said:
As I posted, happening here more and more, with exactly the same patterns engineered by the one percent.

That'd be pointless . We'd only sell it .

Bribie G said:

dont blame me... I voted for Kodos

HdzwzQ71-300x300.jpg

Latest posts

Back