Ethanol

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim_Levet

Reaction score
A couple of mates have acquired a water purification devise of 25 litre capacity. They made a batch of spirit and flavoured it to taste like rum & burbon. Tasted more like a petrol/rum blend. My mate decided to dedicate some time & $$ to making ethanol for his paddock basher. We got the big bag of Dextrose only to find that it is Made In China. We wanted Made In QLD! In our bid to support the cane-cockies we will make our next batch from sugar. Now some questions.
Anybody here ever tried this before?
Is there any great difference between sugar & dextrose?
Any mechanically minded guys out there that can tell us what type of % we should be using in an old Hilux ute?

James

IIRC the forum guidlelines state that there is to be no discussion of distilling alcohol as it is illegal, so don't expect this thread to live for long.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind looking into a still for producing home-made no-rinse sanitiser B)

If you are just making fuel, no point in using dextrose.

How old is the hilux? cause ethanol has a nasty tendancy to attack fuel lines in older cars. might get away with up to 10% ethanol/90% petrol, but it's not good for the car long term. Forget about running it on pure ethanol. It'll use more fule, detonate, and destroy the fuel system in short order

Thanks Murray
I have read the guidelines & see the error I have made. I will stick to beer power, for me not the car.
James

Back