Estimating FG with brew enhancer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hi all,

I saw another post similar to this but didn't want to hijack the thread. I'm trying to figure out what the FG of my brew should be.

I have a Coopers Lager that I've had brewing for around 8 days now. I only use kits but have been adding Brewcraft brew enhancer instead of straight dextrose. I am using a fridge to keep fermentation temp around 21 degrees (it says 21-28 on the pack and I'm trying to brew at the lower end of the scale). I made the silly mistake of not getting an OG reading :/

Now I've started testing my brew each day with a hydrometer. The last 2 readings over 2 days have been 1010 - is this an expected FG? From what I've read 1004-1008 is expected but this is so close I'm unsure. I tested my hydrometer in distilled water and it came back at 1000 so I can't see this being the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Is it worth trying to get that last 0002 fermentation or can I assume it's finished?

Cheers,

Newts

It's hard to tell without knowing exactly what's in the brew enhancer. It'l likely a mix of dried malt, dextrose and maltodextrin, but if it doesn't say in what ratio then estimating gravity is difficult.

That being said, 1010 sounds very much like a final gravity for a kit with BE. 1004 is lower than I've ever seen one come out, even 1008 is lower than any kit I've brewed. If your beer stays at 1010 for a couple more days, it'll be ready to go I'm sure.

as carniebrew said if its stable for a few days it will be right to bottle, 1.010 is an expected FG for a K&K. Although always remember there are no ill affects from leaving your beer in the fermenter for say 14 days or so. If anything it is recommended I personally let mine sit for 12-14 days in primary before cold conditioning.

eddy22 said:
as carniebrew said if its stable for a few days it will be right to bottle, 1.010 is an expected FG for a K&K. Although always remember there are no ill affects from leaving your beer in the fermenter for say 14 days or so. If anything it is recommended I personally let mine sit for 12-14 days in primary before cold conditioning.
+ 1. There is no danger in letting it sit in the primary a little longer if you feel it can eek out a little more fermentation. Consistent readings is the best indicator.

Back