Esky Conversion.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Iguana

Reaction score
About to start a Fullers ESB this arvo....here's the new additions to the brewery.

IMGP0344.JPG

Looks good enough to brew beer in!

FWIW - my second generation mashtun went to much longer braid fixed at both ends to a tee. I seem to get much more reliable flow now.

manifold.jpg

First attempt.

MashtunBraid.jpg

Second attempt.

I converted the first mashtun into an esky (I can provide instructions if folk are interested).

Brewed a Fullers clone yesterday with the new set up.....totally stoked...only recirculated 3 times to get clear..the ss braid manifold does a great job...chiller cooled to 20 C in 25 mins.

Slight said:
I can provide instructions if folk are interested

That'd be brilliant.
You take the braid out and stick the bung back in. If you are interested in some more detailed pics of how to convert an esky to a mashtun (not the other way round), checkout:

brewiki - mashtun bits and pieces

The info there is not meant to be followed literally - you generally have to improvise a little.

I now use S/S braid in my mash tun as well , I can't speak to highly of it.

Better than the boozaka screen that I replaced , I have had in in my kettle for sometime now as well

batz you use the SS braid in your boiler also?

and it sure beats cutting all the slots in a copper manifold boy that was hard work! and the home made faulse floor wasn;t much easyer

all guys making a mash tun this SS braid is so much easyer that its really worth trying / doing

Yes on the kettle too

Works a treat no hops in the fermenter , it now sits around 25mm above the bottom , does not clog , even with heavy hopped beers.
I going to buy a longer piece all the same

Is the 'stainless steel braid' you blokes are talking about just those stainless hoses with 1/2" connectors on each end that you see in the plumbing section but with the inside piping ripped out and clamped to a T-piece?

Well that's certainly what i'm using in my mash tun, and plan to use in the boiler.
Although it's a lot harder to remove the inner rubber tube than you'd think.

found the tube easy to remove , push the braid together , (after you have cut off the fittings) , this increases the diameter of the braid , grab the rubber tube in a vise and pull it out

Spot on Hoops :D

Latest posts

Back