Eski Size

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
What is the ideal sized eski (in litres) to use as a mash/lauter tun when wanting to get the most out of a 50litre HLT and boiler setup?

I've got a 25L easki I used to do a small all-grain batch, however I don't think it will be big enough in the long run.

Cheers

Fish

51L would be good, can make huge beers or huge batches. Pitfall is that a 6Kg mash would lose most of its heat to the airspace above the grain, so don't ditch that 25L esky!

I mash small mashes in my 20L Rubbermaid, then transfer to the 51L tun for sparging.

Jovial Monk

Jovial_Monk said:
51L would be good, can make huge beers or huge batches. Pitfall is that a 6Kg mash would lose most of its heat to the airspace above the grain, so don't ditch that 25L esky!
[post="52854"][/post]​
I was concerned about heat loss in my 48L rectangular esky but this turned out to be no problem whatsoever. I did inject some urethane foam into the lid but that probably hasn't made a great deal of difference.

Furthermore - heat loss isn't necessarily a bad thing - you can use it to your advantage to make a more fermentable wort.

Back