Esk Beer Fest Home Brew Comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't manage to get an entry organised, but will be there from tomorrow arvo sometime. Good luck to all who entered.

Imperial wit by Stu Grant.
Mighty tasty too. Big 8% wheat beer with a little hit of galaxy.

Congrats Stu and well done to everyone that entered.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. It was great to meet some new brewers and see some familiar faces.

Now that St John is open we might need to get a more regular meetup happening.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the congrats. I was stoked to win. I love that beer but didn't expect it to get the gong!

It was an Imperial Witbier - basically just amped up a basic wit recipe then added 20% white sugar a la a tripel. Rather than the usual coriander/orange additions for a classic wit, I dry hopped with Galaxy. I think the high alcohol (8.0%) tends to extract more out of dry hops. Bottled about 3 months ago, so a lot of the hop aroma is gone now. This is the recipe if anyone's interested.

I'm part of the team that set up Saint John, and we've been planning on doing some brewing for the bar anyway, so we'll definitely put some of this beer through once it's brewed. Speaking to Paul, it'll probably be at least 2 months before he can squeeze it in.

Speaking of homebrewer meet-ups, this is something we are very keen to get happening at Saint John. The bar is closed Mon-Tues, so that gives us the perfect opportunity to do stuff like that. Watch this space (or the F-book page, since I don't get on here that often).

Cheers

Congrats on the win Stu. Please do tell us about St John, Cheers Fozz

A great event, around 15 entries which was more than last year even though the short notice. most were of very high quality and it was extremely hard to pick the top three, let alone a winner.
I hope to take the comp on myself for next years event, more notice, more prizes etc.
We had some good judges this year from Morrisons, Iron House, Van Dieman, Little Creatures and independent.
Thanks to everyone who entered, looking forward to next years event.

That'd be fantastic if you took it over.

My fault for not brewing but given my entry would have been a 'fresh is best' beer, likely.

Not so concerned about prizes (except having my beer brewed), but always looking for feedback. It's what I miss from QABC.

Latest posts

Back