Esb Wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cero

Reaction score
Hi All -

Brewed up a batch of ESB wheat beer. Tryed my first one yesterday. It is quite mildly flavoured (bordering on bland) and has virtually no head. The carbonation is fine - but head is completely lacking.

I'm wondering what other ppl think of this kit - and how they spice it up?

Cheers -
Cero.

Hi Guys -

I should add that I used all the stuff that came with the kit and 500g Dextrose / 250g Maltodextron / 250 g Light Malt.

Any suggestions for spicing it up?

I've read that yeast plays a big part in the flavour of wheat beers - maybe try a different yeast to the one supplied?

cheers
reg

I haven't used this kit, but I reckon if I did, I'd boost it with something other than corn sugars - with all that dextrose and maltodextron.... you have about 40% adjuncts in the recipe. Instead of a kilo of bagged dry stuff, grab a 1.7Kg can of ESB Unhopped Liquid Wheat Malt. It's 50% Wheat Malt and 50% Barley malt. It'll bring up the body, improve the taste and very possibly improve head retension as well.

You could also dry hop with 15g of Hallertau to give a hoppy, lager-ish aroma if you don't mind deviating from the Bavarian style, which is malty/wheaty with no hop aroma.

I made the 3kg ESB Wheat and used Wyeast Weinstephan liquid yeast. It was a great brew - beautiful head good flavour.

-Snow

Cero said:
What are adjuncts?

Sorry to be an eejit LOL!
Non-malt additives such as sucrose, glucose, dextrose etc.
Long live the reinheitsgebot!

Latest posts

Back