Esb Recipie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barfridge

Small fridge, powerful thirst
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Looking through my supplies, I decided I had about enough to do an ESB. Here is my planned recipie, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Keep in mind that this is basicly all the grain I have, I only have more of the melanoidin, so let me know if you think it needs more (currently its 10%).

3.5kg JW trad ale
2.5kg TF pils
600g melanoidin
200g crystal (40L)

Northern Brewer (9%), 10g @ 60 mins
Fuggles (3.8%), 50g @ 60 mins
Fuggles 25g @ 15
Fuggles 25g @ 5

Batch size: 23 L
OG: 1055
IBU: 44

Looks good barfridge although I have never used melanoidin in this style before and 600g is a lot of it! I have used 20g of roasted barley in these which adds a nice bit of color and subtle taste.

My next english bitter will be getting a good dose of fuggles as well :) tasty hop.

Personally I wouldn't add any melanoiden to an ESB let alone 600 grams. If you want to add some barfridge keep it below 200grams. A little goes a long way with this grain.

My $0.02c worth.

C&B
TDA

I used 4% melanoidin in an ESB recently, but I also had more and darker crystal to play with - in combination they came up to around the 10% mark.
As you say, these grains are what you have. I don't think you need any more melanoidin though

my beer is still in a cube, and I have a stinking head cold - so can't really comment on how she turned out.

Strewth, 6kg of base malt! I'd just drop the melanoidin and you'll still be fine.

Cheers,
TL

Barfridge,

As nice as it sounds. Going by ProMash at a modest 75% efficiency that's going to give you a beer around the 1.070 mark! Nice winter warmer that's for sure.

I also chucked in the colour swatch. I've always found it to be reasonably accurate.

Warren -

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.80
Anticipated OG: 1.069 Plato: 16.91
Anticipated EBC: 24.8
Anticipated IBU: 0.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.9 0.20 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 74
51.5 3.50 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 8
36.8 2.50 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
8.8 0.60 kg. Weyermann Melanoidin Germany 1.037 93

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

I use Promash as well, but I set my efficiency at 65%, due to a not very good braid setup. This seems to be about right, as I usually get low volumes, and have to water down to hit targets, or just live with a smaller brew. I'm still new at the all grain caper, and havent got things totally sorted yet.

I might take your advice and cut the melanoidin back to about 200g. I also found some choc malt, and I still have some carafa special III left over from belgians. Are either of these a better option?

Thanks once again for all your help

Back