Esb Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wasabi

Reaction score
Guys,

I was down my HBS this weekedn looking for an easy dark ale to make when the guy there shows me an ESB Fresh Wort kit for Porter!

Apparently Matt had made some wort for a client, and for whatever reason things didn't go ahead so he decided to pop it in his 15L bottles and ship it out to the HB stores. A one of kind of thing to get rid of his stock.

My HSB only got 6, and the owner took one.

It was $25, but its a "don't add water" job, so I'm only going to get 15L, but still a porter by ESB made from a Fresh Wort is going to be good right?

Anyone else get one?

City folk will get of them ! :angry: :angry:

City folk will get of them ! :angry: :angry:

all of them
I mean
they will not make it up here

or here batz
thats the price we pay by living remote australia

I made the fresh wort bock with White Labs Octoberfest yeast and it was excellent. I was so impressed, I bought a 15L american pale ale the other day. I have dry hopped that one with cascade so will let you know how it turns out.

- Snow

Snow,

I made the Bock also a little while back (and had a rant on here that ESB supplied me with a ALE yeast), but it was a damn fine drop. A little sweet, but I blame that on the yeast.

We're due for two 30+ days here over the next two days, so I might wait for the southerly change due on Friday before I put it on....

I was keen to try the Oktoberfest full wort beer, but the HBS didn't have it in stock on my last visit, so I ended up brewing another AG one myself.

I've tried the Aussie Pale Ale and the Irish Red full wort kits and the Irish Red would have to be my favourite one. Had it on tap for my sons christening earlier in the year and everyone else liked it so much it didn't last the afternoon :angry:

Beers,
Doc

Doc,

did you use the 1084 Irish Ale Yeast? Also, did you top your's up to 20L or leave it at 15L?

- Snow

Hi fellas,

Crusher here,
This is my first posting. Great web site,have learnt so much by reading posts. I am 40 yrs, carpenter & live on Central Coast. Use to home brew 10yrs ago but had a few bad brews so gave up. but recently went past the local home brew shop in Gosford & popped in. Got talking with the owner & ended up walking out with a ESB bock wort. Thought I'd give it another go. I have spent a bit more time with the sterilising procedure & hey presto, Great beer.Went straight back & got a ESB Amber Ale. Too easy. Today, went back & just happened to pick up the last ESB Porter. The owner said he was going to keep it for himself, but relented & sold it to me. Hey Wasabi, we must go to the same shop. I've just put it on & cannot wait to try it. One question, stupid as it might seem, I have been bulk priming the 2 brews that I have put down with home brew shop purchased priming sugar i.e. 180 grms. By only putting down the Porter wort as supplied i.e.15 litres, should I reduce the amount of priming sugar. I assume so, but any help appreciated.I am just going to keep my brewing basic for the the near future, but hopefully one day I will be able to brew some beers that I have read about on this site that sound soooo good. Belgian tasting beers are my Everest. Sorry about going on & on. Cheers
Crusher

Snow,

I added three litres to the 15 litre kit and used WLP002 (English Ale) yeast.
SG 1041 FG 1013.

Beers,
Doc

Crusher,

You definately want to drop the priming amount, but I don't have my HB books at work so maybe someone else will have to give you the amount.

The last one! Wow! I was in there in Sat and there were about 5 left. They went mighty quick.

Where abouts are you? I'm in "lovely" ole Ourimbah....

Are the ESB fresh wort kits usually very gritty? Put one down a while back but havent tastes it and theres definately a lot of floaties in the bottles.?
Cheers

Wasabi,
I'll reduce the priming sugar by a quarter & see what happens. Can't wait to try it. I put it on during those hot days & then read your post about the hot weather, Got me a bit worried, but has been fermenting O.K. By the way, I'm from Davistown.

What are you priming with? It will effect how much you need to use. If white sugar allow 7g per litre. If dextrose, about 8g/l. If using DME, about 11g or as low as 9g for a low carbonation style. I personally use DME most of the time, so I allow between 9 and 11g per litre of finished beer, depending on the carbonation I'm after.

If you had good results with "x" grams in a 20 litre batch, 3/4"x" should be fine for 15l.

Thanks Post Modern,
I'm priming with dextrose that the local H.B.S sells in 180 gm packets for bulk priming.
I'll take your advice & use 8gms per litre.
I'm just getting back into the home brew scene so i'll work my way up with the ingredients. Next batch DME, then the hops etc. Thanks Crusher.

I put my ESB porter wort kit down 12 days ago now & for the last 5 days it has been on 1020 What should this amateur brewer do. Any help appreciated Did you have any problems Wasabi. I put mine on on them hot days we had a few weeks back.

Crusher,

I only put my down two days ago, the weather was all over the place. It's in my spare room which was 26 when I came home today, but it was a warm day!

What was you SG? Mine was 1.044 (you'd hope they were the same )

Everything seems to be going ok for the moment. I guessing that it should finish at around 1.011. Did you use the kit yeast? I used Safale and got it really going before I pitched.

I'm going into the HBS tomorrow to pick some stuff up, I'll see if I can find out how there's went.

My Robust Port kit (From jovial monk) has been sitting at 1021 for about a week now as well (og=1065 ish)

With all the stuff that went in, it was probably always going to finish high, but I'll leave it a bit longer just in case.

I do think that I'll start doing yeast starters from now on tho......

Wasabi,
I just used the yeast supplied. Just keeping it simple for a start. O.G. was 1044 like yours. Nothing else was added .
Crusher.

Latest posts

Back