Esb Kit - Too Much Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nagaz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New here, and just completed my first ever brew..
Did lots of reading and though I had everything figured out... but....

Followed instructions on the tin of goo, looked ad advice from other posts so I was well informed and followed everything to a 'tee'

Once I thought I was done topping off the wort, I looked at the side of the fermenter and noticed that it was close to 25 liters, when the tin said 22.5

Just wondering if this will have an adverse effect on taste, nose, ABV, etc???

Kit was ESB 3kg Aus Draught (first brew so wanted something that was like a megabrew)
Req level: 22.5 ltrs

Any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nagaz

Did you take a gravity reading once you topped up? It might be a bit watery but I'm sure you'll enjoy the results of your labour.

Should be fine mate, like Rob said, maybe a bit watery but an easy to drink beer.

A few years back when first starting, made a blonde to 24 litres, turned out to be a good lawnmower beer.

also, with that much liquid in the fermentor, you may blow out the airlock. That isn't really a problem so much as it can be messy. You might want to go get a tube from the brew shop so you can direct the mess into a bucket or something. and don't forget to sterilise it.

As for it being too watery, you've basically put about a shot of water into a schooner or pint of beer. Considering how flavourful most home brews are, you may end up with something that tastes more commercial. Should still be drinkable though. No harm done really. You will need a few extra bottles though.

Don't worry about it, it'll be fine. I've made that particular kit many times in the past, & actually preferred to use a little over the recommended amount of water. If i remember correctly, it comes with US-5 yeast so unless you're fermenting it far too warm i'd be surprised if you got a blowout.
Good choice for a first brew- i'm sure you'll love it!

Thanks for the info guys...
Didnt think it would be much of an issue, but it never hurts to ask!

Also, the brew is currently sitting in an old fridge in the store-room on a timer (15 mins on every 2 hours - STC1000 is in the mail)

When I checked the temp this morning, it is sitting between 14C and 16C... Its going to be 36 here in Perth today so i believe that will rise a bit...

Brian at the Malthouse in Perth swaped the kit yeast with US-05 stating it will give me a better result.
Just wondering if the current temps are too low and needs to be brought up a bit, or will the low temps just slow fermentation?

Thanks

Nagaz

those temps are on the low side of where you want to be but it want hurt, just take a little longer to ferment.

25 litres shouldnt be a problem, slighter less body and little less alc...all means easy to drink.

Yeah, i'd ferment it at 18C, personally, & ramp it up slightly toward the end.

Thanks for the quick replys and advice...

I havent bothered with bottles (except a few) as I decided to go straight to Kegs....
Now just need to learn how to clean and fill..

Any pointers will be appreciated, but I am sure its all be covered in other threads, so I'll search away...

I'll let you know how it turns out...

Thanks again!

Nagaz

Hey I'm new to kegging and just wondering if you have 19 L kegs and brewed 25 L what are you going to do with the excess. Can you half fill a keg. I kegged first one yesterday and got 6 long necks extra.

Aha I just saw the excePt a few. I gave my kegs a real good cleaning with brewers wash, pulled all the bits to pieces and cleaned it with a toothbrush in the tight spots, second hand kegs. cleaned all round the seals, some say replace them. Mine looked fine. Then when I was ready to keg I put about 5 L of water and steriliser in the keg put lid on and shook the hell out of it. Let it sit for a while, while I sterilised my siphons hose ect. Rinsed it all out good and siphoned the beer into and gassed it. But I'm new too

Hey I'm new to kegging and just wondering if you have 19 L kegs and brewed 25 L what are you going to do with the excess. Can you half fill a keg. I kegged first one yesterday and got 6 long necks extra.

Yeah, good stuff eh, Never tried just half filling a keg as what would be the point in doing that.
Those extra tallies if left alone will be handy if the kegs arn't ready to drink from.

I have read that somewhere but the reply was you waste too much co2 just half filling it. I don't know. I've read about people doing smaller batches like 10 litres or something as that's the size of the fermenter

And yeah it will be nice to compare how the kegs taste compared to bottle aged

And yeah it will be nice to compare how the kegs taste compared to bottle aged

Hey Mate,

Kegs are only 19L so I bought a number of PET bottles for the excess...
Will be good to compare the difference in taste after some aging...

Nagaz

Well I got my new kegerator today and hooked up my first keg to the gas so see how go in a couple days

Hi guys,

Thought I would give you an update.

Let the brew ferment out and did a reading that sat at 1014.
I left it for a few more days and still read 1014. Ramped up the heat to 24 degrees and after 2 days, still at 1014.

Thought that was it, kegged it and forced carbed.

Still trying to balance my system better (not bad, but could be better) but she's a nice drop.
Mid strength what I would call 'Bitter Pale Ale'....

Thanks for the advice guys, now just to search for a cider recipie for the wife!

Nagaz

Back