Esb Fresh Wort Kits... And Cans.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickb167

Reaction score
Heard through my local hbs that st peters brewery is going to stop making the fresh wort kits and cans for esb :( . Would love to know if anyone else has heard this news, as if its true it will be a shame. I really hope its just a rumor, as a new kit brewer ive found there selection gives the best results.

Matt & Mike Donellan from St Peters Brewery will continue to make the Fresh Wort Kits & they should be back in circulation by the end of next week.
Cheers
Gerard

Matt & Mike Donellan from St Peters Brewery will continue to make the Fresh Wort Kits & they should be back in circulation by the end of next week.
Cheers
Gerard

I also heard this yesterday from lhbs. So no more 3kg tins?
Cheers
Steve

Has anyone rang Mel to confirm this furphy yet? It would be a real shame it it were true.

As Gerard said they will be back in circulation by the end of next week.

Why wait 2 weeks?

www.shop.nnlbeersupplies.com.au

We have wort packs ready to roll! (and award winning ones they are too..)

Scotty

thats abit spam-like ///. the thread is about esb.

Gerard has laid the fears to rest with respect to the fresh wort kits. Is the fate of the 3kilo paint tins sealed?

To lose the American Pale Ale would be a tragedy :(

Fester

At this stage the sign on the door is all that anybody really knows, Mel is closed for a while due to ill health. I spoke to his wife yesterday, and as far as I have been told he has been quite ill for some time, he has decided a break now is better than something worse later on. Anybody that has known Mel would have seen that he hasn't been enjoying the best of health lately so some rest is well over-due.

There will be ESB Fresh Wort Kits delivered to retailers early next week & Matt will have the kettle fired up next week so there should be no problem with continued supply of ESB Fresh Wort Kits.

The ESB Fresh Wort Kit has often been imitated, but the quality of the product will always shine through. The retailers that I have contacted including the regional shops are continuing to support Mel & the ESB brand & supply will continue with a minimum of inconvenience.

Cheers
Gerard

At this stage the sign on the door is all that anybody really knows, Mel is closed for a while due to ill health. I spoke to his wife yesterday, and as far as I have been told he has been quite ill for some time, he has decided a break now is better than something worse later on. Anybody that has known Mel would have seen that he hasn't been enjoying the best of health lately so some rest is well over-due.

There will be ESB Fresh Wort Kits delivered to retailers early next week & Matt will have the kettle fired up next week so there should be no problem with continued supply of ESB Fresh Wort Kits.

The ESB Fresh Wort Kit has often been imitated, but the quality of the product will always shine through. The retailers that I have contacted including the regional shops are continuing to support Mel & the ESB brand & supply will continue with a minimum of inconvenience.

Cheers
Gerard

Thanks Gerard, hope Mel gets well soon......any news on the 3kg ESB Tins?
Cheers
Steve

Hope Mel gets well quickly, he was partially responsible for getting me into this obsession many years back with boozy sessions at the Clovelly/Randwick store. :super:

Why wait 2 weeks?

www.shop.nnlbeersupplies.com.au

We have wort packs ready to roll! (and award winning ones they are too..)

Scotty

Hope no one kicks you that hard if you ever fall over........... ;)

Get well soon Mel

Hope Mel gets well quickly, he was partially responsible for getting me into this obsession many years back with boozy sessions at the Clovelly/Randwick store. :super:

I think Mel was responsible for getting many people in Sydney into brewing. Ever the helpful bloke. A big get well from me too.

Does anyone know if his illness precludes the odd beer? Maybe we should all bottle one of what we're drinking and get it to him somehow?

[/quote]

As other craft brewers would say, "when in Rome..."

Long lived Cotties and other hot fillers,

Scotty

Scotty
An icon of Sydney homebrew suffers from ill health, and it seems some mercenary low-life scum bag can't wait to tread on his sick-bed to reach the profits, eh?

Bought a yeast off this guy once and thats it never again. Trying to gain from his misfortune is just low the shop that would gain the most from his temp closeure (closest 2 him) is not even trying to step on his bussiness but a guy from wollogong is HA HA good luck

Scotty
An icon of Sydney homebrew suffers from ill health, and it seems some mercenary low-life scum bag can't wait to tread on his sick-bed to reach the profits, eh?

I think that there is a bit of misunderstanding here.

Mel got a lot (if not most of us) into brewing, particularly AG so we all wish him the very best for a speedy and full recovery.

But there is real concern that the supply of Fresh Wort Kits has dried up in the critical pre-christmas period for many brewshops and brewers. This is not an attack on Mel's business as it is not taking any orders at the moment.

There has also been mention of copying the way that the Wort Kits are made but it is a technique that has been around for centuries ie the hot 'caning' of fruits and jams to preserve them. Coopers were making a bag-in-a-box kit in the 70's before the tins of concentrated wort were available and the Wort Kit cube as we know it today were widely available in Canada and the US many years ago.

What Mel did was make them widely available which is why he is being missed by the industry, and brewers everywhere, at the moment.

I think that there is a bit of misunderstanding here.

No misunderstanding whatsoever... I have no problem with discussing the potential short supply of Fresh Wort kits, and I understand as we all do that similar products are readily available elsewhere. What I do have a problem with is a someone trying to profit off anothers illness. There is a retailers section in this forum where he can advertise the fact that he sells a Fresh Wort kit substitute, but to quickly tack the post off the end of another one informing us all of his competitors unfortunate illness is in the worst possible taste.

Poor form Scott but I suppose alot of people know you well enough by now to expect that sort of response from you. The only misunderstanding is that you tried to undo the fact that you showed you couldn't care less about Mel's illness and and tried to profit from his misfortune. I guess you're thinking business is business but everyone knows everyone in this industry and your comments are not on mate. Have a heart.

In Scotties defense there has been a big misunderstanding here.

We knew about Mel's heath problem a few weeks before this thread started and had already promptly offered our direct wishes for a speedy and full recovery. Words such as 'thanks for getting us started in brewing' and 'the industry needs as many and varied suppliers as it can get' were used.

When this thread started there was no mention of Mel's health and out of respect for him and his business we did not consider it our role to make it public. The thread title and first few posts relate to concerns about a shortage of Wort Kits leading into the busy Christmas period and Scotty's post was only meant to advise of an alternative that was available.

There was no suggestion of kicking anybody when they are down and it is unfortunate that the timing of the post when interspersed with comments about Mel's health does give the wrong appearance.

Hopefully this has helped explain a few things.

David

Systems and Administration Manager
NNL Beer Supplies.

Good Day
Without stating any opinion I will state a fact.
Both Scott and David contacted me awhile back with concerns about Mel's health. I told them what I knew and they were insistent that I pass on their best wishes and offers of support to Mel.

Back