Esb Australian Draught - No Hop Pellets In Tin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goo

Reaction score
OK heres what happpened

Got several mates coming up from interstate in a few weeks. Figured I'd put down 2 batches of ESB Aus Draught for general purpose guzzling during that time. I've made this kit plenty of times - it comes with hop pellets in the concentrate, they appear as dark green clumpy things - they are pretty hard to miss

Tin one goes into the fementer OK, no worries. The second tin (going into a second fermenter) however is missing the hop pelletts. I have mixed it up regardless as I didn't really like my chances of re-tinning the stuff and driving back to the HBS to get it exchanged.

I'm guessing (hoping?) I probably just need to boil up some hop teabags and add to the hopless brew ASAP. any suggestions as to what I need, and how many of 'em? Might even be a good time for a little experimentation, though I have no idea of the quantities involved.

Or am I stuffed? Pour down the drain and put it down to experience?

No hop pellets in the tin, thats a bit rough! It wasn't just iso-hopped was it...ie was it still hoppy? Have a taste.

As for hops, if the can isn't bittered at all, try maybe 24 to 30g of Cascade or 24g of Pride of Ringwood. Boil for 20 minutes to give bitterness, 30 if you can spare the time. Save one quarter to one third of the total amount of hops and chuck these into the boil with the others with 5 minuts to go. These will give good flavour and some aroma with the short boil.

After that, put the whole thing directly into the fermenter and top up with cold water as per usual.

Having a shot in the dark with the hopping, but its what I'd do if I was between a rock and a hard place - it should come out ok :beer:

Why not give ESB a call, though you'll have to wait till tomorrow.

www.esbeer.com.au

I thought ESB closed down a while back.

I used to make this kit a lot when i started out.

I recal talking to Mel about it and he said it had tetnanger and hersbrucker in it from memory. I could be rong but it was german hops he said for sure.

I used to like the Nut Brown Ale, brewed with SO-4. They were the best kits available

cheers

how does it taste compared to the hopped one? does it have any bitterness at all? if it's got some bitterness, I'd wait until it's nearly done and then dry hop it with some 30g or so of cascade or amarillo for a week. it wont be much of an aussie ale afterward but it'd probably be a nice beer in it's own right

how does it taste compared to the hopped one? does it have any bitterness at all? if it's got some bitterness, I'd wait until it's nearly done and then dry hop it with some 30g or so of cascade or amarillo for a week. it wont be much of an aussie ale afterward but it'd probably be a nice beer in it's own right

Didnt seem to - it was definately differentt o the one that was peletted. I rang ESB, guy told me that the pellets might have just liquidised (Im pretty sure this isnt the case, as I said I have done a lot of these tins and its the first one without any green goo or 'floaties', just seemed to be straight out malt extract) but if i was wanted to, throw some POR in to be safe, which is what I have done.

So we'll see what happens I guess. Fun little experiment if nothing else :D

Pride of Ringwood...bing-bing! Gotta love the traditional aussie-quaffer hop...

Back