Ersatz Napisan Recomendation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braufrau

Autumn Leaf Brewery
Reaction score
I just tootled back from Woollies clutching my home brad nappy cleaner only to discover that its scented!

Anyone recommend a brand that's not. Would I be better off using napisan "vanish" whatever the heck is in that.
They all just say "active ingredient: sodium percarbonate" so who knows what else is in it!

I just noticed the home brand stuff says "with triple action enzymes!' doh!

I've been using Coles Sensitive. No dyes, no perfumes, no enzymes. Seems to work well, although it might explain the lemony freshness in my recent beers. ;)

I've been using Coles Sensitive. No dyes, no perfumes, no enzymes. Seems to work well, although it might explain the lemony freshness in my recent beers. ;)

Thanks Stuster. I'll get some for next time.
I'm just bottling my Amarillo APA.
The amarillo is very strong! They're not kidding when they say it smells of stone fruit!
It may be a bit overwhelming. We'll have to see when its been bottled for a bit.

I've been using one from "the warehouse" called Supreme Oxy Active $3 a kilo. Has 34% Sodium percarbonate compared to 25.7% of napisan.

I just tootled back from Woollies clutching my home brad nappy cleaner only to discover that its scented!

Anyone recommend a brand that's not. Would I be better off using napisan "vanish" whatever the heck is in that.
They all just say "active ingredient: sodium percarbonate" so who knows what else is in it!

I just noticed the home brand stuff says "with triple action enzymes!' doh!

braufrau,
My wife just picked up some for me last week in a new 3kg container, I can't find anything written on it to indicate if its scented or not, are you detecting it by the smell? because I can't pick the difference from the old one! Which of course I might say no guarantee at all :unsure:

Cheers,
BB

I use the Napisan Baby Care. Bit dearer ($6ish) but I ended up with it after sniffing a few of them at the supermarket and have used it since. MSDS link.

I use the ALDI or the Coles $mart buy brand (depending where the wife is shopping) Both work OK. I think the Coles brand has double the sodium percarbonate in it though so is probably a better option dollar wise.

braufrau,
My wife just picked up some for me last week in a new 3kg container, I can't find anything written on it to indicate if its scented or not, are you detecting it by the smell? because I can't pick the difference from the old one! Which of course I might say no guarantee at all :unsure:

Cheers,
BB

Yep. By smell. It comes in the tubby thing and in a big juggy thing. I think that's the 3kg one.

I'm counting on the terminator I added after cleaning the bottling bucket with the nappy stuff to denature whatever the lemon smell is. :)
And I'll rinse it out with boiling water too.

Looks like napisan baby care or the coles sensitive one are the two to go for! yay!

thanks guys.

Or you could just buy some sodium percarbonate and forgo the dye, perfume and fillers etc altogether. $3 per kilo of 35% sodium percarbonate (for the budget nappisan), or $5 a kilo for 100% sodium percarbonate ...........not much competition.....

yes but ... would you use 1/3rd of the full strength one.
I don't mean should you ... I mean would you?
Its like that concentrated dishwashing liquid... you only need 1/nth the amount ... but don't you really end up using 3/nth of the amount?

And besides ... coles and woollies are just down there, and open every day, while my nearest sodium percarbonate dealer is waaaaayyyy over there!

Or you could just buy some sodium percarbonate and forgo the dye, perfume and fillers etc altogether. $3 per kilo of 35% sodium percarbonate (for the budget nappisan), or $5 a kilo for 100% sodium percarbonate ...........not much competition.....

Are you selling it yet Wayne?

I use the ALDI or the Coles $mart buy brand (depending where the wife is shopping) Both work OK. I think the Coles brand has double the sodium percarbonate in it though so is probably a better option dollar wise.

The aldi version I use has about 26% which is the highest concentration I've found readily available - now where can I find one of these "wharehouse" places....or better yet 100% sodium percarb in sydney?

The aldi version I use has about 26% which is the highest concentration I've found readily available - now where can I find one of these "wharehouse" places....or better yet 100% sodium percarb in sydney?

The Coles one claims to have 32% sodium percarbonate. Would be get to get the straight stuff though. Bulk buy! B)

I know somebody who can provide. B)

FWIW My wife accidentally got me the lemon-scented stuff (hard to avoid these days) it didn't seem to leave any residual tastes or odours in the finished beer. This is allowing for the fact you'd be rinsing it all properly.

I just let me nose be my guide (as Mr. Montana does) and did not detect any lemon smell at all in my clean fermenter.

Warren -

scarface_photo_xl_scarface_6228831.jpg

Yes I am selling it, however still trying to sort out a freight option so it's really only an option for locals I'm afraid. Australia Post won't touch it all all, and other freight companies I have asked about it all want to add a 'chemicals handling' premium on to the freight charge.
The missus has started at the shop this week, so I'll get her on to finding a way to move it around.

Yes I am selling it, however still trying to sort out a freight option so it's really only an option for locals I'm afraid. Australia Post won't touch it all all, and other freight companies I have asked about it all want to add a 'chemicals handling' premium on to the freight charge.
The missus has started at the shop this week, so I'll get her on to finding a way to move it around.

Wayne,

I want some.
What would be the dilution rate or mixing proportion on 100% sodium percarbonate?

Cheers,
BB

It's usually 1 -1.5% strength in hot water, which would be 10gm (roughly 2 tsp depending on your tsp's) per litre. I've never really found it necessary to mix it stronger than that.

Latest posts

Back