Equipment For Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougy

Reaction score
G'day guys,

I've read most of the threads regarding kegging on this site. I have decided to get out of the bottling game by grabbing some 5gallon ball lock kegs from brewers discount.

Now, when i order these, what other stuff should i get (do i need) as it is generally heaps cheaper to get stuff from the states than in Aus.

Should i grab spare poppets and seals, taps for fridge, piping, disconnects, sanitiser, CO2 wrench etc etc. It all gets a bit confusing when you havent seen it all.

Any help would be fantastic.

Cheers,

dougy

ok - first decide how many taps u want.

then buy the taps/shanks - not they are chrome plated brass - not ss and u cant take the tap away without removing the liquid disconect that u can do with snap lock taps.

u will need 1x liquid + 1x Gas for each tap u want.
Plus an extra liquid if you want to burp/force carbonate outside the fridge.
u will need a t piece for 2 taps, or a cross for three taps.
i use 5m of beer line on every tap - i go for 4mm beer line diameter.
will need 2m of gas line plus 50cm for each tap/keg u will have conected.

in Aus - brand new ss Grundy taps with SS shank, snap locks and ss nipples are 145.00 ea. - that should give u something to go buy.
Second hand recon ss pull down taps with fridge extension, snap lock adpater etc ( fridge ext and snap lock adapter not guaranteed to be SS - likely to be chrome plated brass) with 5m of 4mm beer attached are 95.00 ea.

That should give u something to go by.

If u check out St Pats web site - they only sell ss taps and shanks - approx 76.00 ea plus freight from memory.

Hope This Helps You Out.

Would like Jayse to take Note that GMKenterprises did not try to sell any kegging stuff even though he has it....

................dont want the NaziMan down on me again.... :ph34r:

Thanks GMK,

i know you sell some of that stuff, so if you want you can PM some details.

:)

cheers.

EDIT: " Jayse has been down on you? eeewww :) hehe"

ha!

Batz is going for a beer and Valium

GMK not trying to sell you something :eek:

Oh :p

I bet he PMed you :p

Batz

and to think three ahbers have the offer to share a room
in arno bay.
watch out for the go down lad :D

cheers
big d

So for example would the following be a good STARTING setup from brewers discount?

For a setup to go into a fridge

1 X HBK001-2 Home Brew Kegging Kit without CO2
Home Brew Kegging Kit Without CO2 CylinderHome Brew Kit, Dual Gauge Regulator, Rebuilt 5 Gallon Cornelious Keg,12 Feet of Super Flex Tubing, Quick Disconnects, Faucet, Clamps, 4 Oz BTF Sanitizer, 4 Oz BLC Beer Line Cleaner, CO2 wrench, Faucet Brush
Our Price: $87.10

1 X Drain Tray 6" Back Splash 2"
Drain Tray 6" Back Splash 2"
Our Price: $22.17

1 X BL003-5 Gal Keg Rebuilt
Rebuilt 5 Gal. Ball Lock Keg, oval lid with ring pull Relief Valve, Plugs in excellent condition, New Gaskets, New Plug Poppets, labels removed, washed by Pepsi Corp at bottling plant, pressure checked, sprayed with BTF Santitizer after washing, excellent condition, Shipping up to 4 in one box. The Best Keg at this Price in the USA.
Our Price: $24.50

1 X Shank Assembly with 4 1/8" Shank
4 1/8"" shank assembly, chrome faucet with knob, beer nut with tail pice and neoprene gasket
Our Price: $29.50

TOTAL: $163.27 + Shipping

Anything I am missing/not need?

There has been debate in other threads about whether the regulator thread will fit the local CO2 bottles. I cannot help you with the right answer, just to tell you that you may have problems, then need to source the correct adaptor here locally.

More kegs is always a good option, ball lock. Make sure your start up kit is ball lock too.

A spare seal kit or two wouldn't go astray. The correct fitting spare poppet valves to go in the posts would be good. Maybe a spare relief valve too. You can source this stuff here locally, it just costs a bit. Depends on if you want to pay lower price and keep spares in the cupboard, or, pay the higher price when you eventually need them.

Later on, you may like to look at getting another reg and manifold so you can gas up and dispense from the one CO2 cylinder at the same time. Also, the three gallon kegs are nice when you have smaller batches, or want to keg and bottle some of the same batch, eg barley wines, long keepers etc.

May I suggest you buy what you want now, and further down the track, do another order when you sort out if you ned more gear.

Sounds good, think I might just buy one of those standard 2 keg kits from my local HBS ($390) which has all the start up equipment then once I know what I'm doing and what else I might need/WANT I will order from OS.

CHEERS :D

Back