Epic's 5 – 10 – 15 Rule for Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eldertaco

Reaction score
Apparently their rule of thumb for dry hopping at Epic is 5g/L for pales, 10g/L for IPA and 15g/L for IIPA.

https://www.epicbeer.com/the-5-10-15-rule/

I've never gone quite that hard but I've got an IPA and a DIPA in the ferment fridge at the moment, so I think I'll have a stab and see what happens.. Not looking forward to the losses though, might have to see what I can rustle up and do half the dry hop in the keg.

Interesting, didn't expect it to be quite so contentious!

So what are the highest levels of dry hopping people around here go for?

I think there's a few breweries who skip bittering hops and just do whirlpool/dry hops. that ends up with a shitload of hops added late - is that what this guy does?

i'd be keen to give it a shot. makes for an expensive beer... so it better be good!

Interesting, didn't expect it to be quite so contentious!

So what are the highest levels of dry hopping people around here go for?

I pretty much don't bother with anything under 5g/L these days. Done less, done more... found this to be the sweet spot for me. Also really depends when/how you dry hop (at what point of fermentation, temperature, duration etc etc)

Most I've done is 12.5 g/L but around 6 g/L is reasonable.

If you want to brew beers like Epic's , it'd be worth taking on board. I'd be solidly chuffed to even come within spitting distance of many of their beers.

I myself would likely split the doses up into 5g/l amounts, i.e. 1 dose for pales, 2 for IPA's, 3 for IIPA's. I would guess that the ability to dump spent doses would be good once you're looking at the 15g/l level, but it sounds like Epic does it in one dose.

I've dry hopped at 10g/l, but it can take weeks for the phenols to ease up to the point of drinkability. Then again, the Heady Topper-ish I brewed was drinking great at a week out of the fermenter at 9g/l.

huh!
My IPA are around 90-100g and IIPA about 135g for 19 l keg.
no wonder they are so delicious! :)

So many people want to label everything, I taste from the fermenter, check gravity, check what I have on tap, check stocks, then decide how hard to go with dry hop. Usually between 3 and 5g/L but as low as 1.5 and up to 12 (can't mention the beer at 12, Nelson is way too pricey atm). I have a decent range of taps, I don't need to blow my head of with hops on every one, some restraint and relief at times is required.

I've dry hopped at 10g/l, but it can take weeks for the phenols to ease up to the point of drinkability. Then again, the Heady Topper-ish I brewed was drinking great at a week out of the fermenter at 9g/l.

Yeah you're right sometimes the aggressively dry hopped beers can take a while to mellow out, and other times it's fine almost straight away. There doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme or reason to when it happens vs when it doesn't either, or at least not that I've figured out.

I guess the lowest I go is about 3g/L and the highest I've gone has probably been around the 9 mark.

Latest posts

Back