Epic Hop Zombie DIPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mikec.
Might just use a touch of Cara for the colour
have thought about Centennial too,see what the brew shop has to temp me.

I tried my first Hop Zombie afew weeks ago and I'm very surprised to read it has no crystal in it.
It tasted very sweet & (obviously) hoppy to me.
Could it be a case of mashing the pils & ale malts high to get the maltiness right ??

I loved it BTW wish I could afford more than one bottle @ $18
I'm deffinately going to brew a beer with cascade, centennial, motueka & riwaka !!

I can see this thread has been dormant for sometime now but it's such a great beer I had to comment.

I spoke with the Epic head brewer Luke at the Auckland food show a few months back. He had a bottle of hop zombie in his hand while we chatted and kept refilling my glass. He accounts the sweetness to the hops, not the malt. I think I recall him mentioning that the hop combinations, which included Chinook, resulted in a much more varied hop flavour due to the oils in the hops he used.

I would love to be able to brew something close to this. I'm curious to know the results of the above experiments.

This is a great beer. There armageddon ipa in my opinion is better.
There are a few awesome craft brewers from NZ. Epic, 8 wired, liberty, garage project, tuatura.
I would agree the sweetness is from the hops. All of the 90-100+ ibu beers ive had taste almost sickly sweet.

anyone trying this recipe lately? keen to give this a go :)

Latest posts

Back