• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

EOI - Stainless 50gal drums

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ein stein

Reaction score
50gal 304 stainless drums
What are they worth?
The were full of Melaleuca (tea tree) oil so I don't know how much work it's going to take to get rid of that odour. Maybe good for a meat smoker?
Cheers.

you would be looking at around 150$ for for food grade 44-50Gal just under 200L drums, in my exp.
if it smells okay it should be fine for mashing in, i am sure you can see what i am trying to get at here.
if you can get a hold of one clean it down with phosphoric or something then see how it holds water, i.e give it a taste. worst case you've got a nice rat proof grain bin.

Stainless steel is generally non porous so the removal of the oil and therefore scent/taste should not be a problem. The water test as suggested by homebrewnewb is the way to go.

If you’re looking for a group buy, I’m interested. There are a few different sizes. I’d be more into one of the 50 GalUS ones, but would go a 44 if that’s hat was in offer. $150 is a pretty good price. Most I see on Gumtree are $200-$250.

PS: I’m in Melbourne.

Thanks for the reply guys. I was inquiring because I may be able to get my hands on a few from work. I just wanted to see if it would be worthwhile considering the logistics and trying to determine who these drums actually belong to even tho they have been gathering dust in our storage rooms for the last 2 years. also melaleuca oil is highly odourous and can be fairly toxic.

I might also be interested for work. Ask your boss if he'll trade for wine.

BTW melaleuca oil is mostly terpenes so it isn't difficult to wash out. Terpenes are insoluble in water but highly soluble in ethanol, so rinsing a couple of times with metho should see you good to go.

I will see what happens, although I can't make any guarantees."watch this space".

Latest posts

Back