Eoi - Sodium Metasilicate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Hay Hop Heads,

Just want to put it out there and guage interest for a potential Bulk Buy of Sodium metasilicate..

Following on from the Sodium Perc BB I did last year (and have a reasonble quatity still :rolleyes: )

Im now turning my attention to Sodium metasilicate so I can make my home made PBW.

I should think that 1 bag would split 5 ways quite easily.

Ive sent an email out to the supplier of the Perc today so will see what he comes back with.

if we can get to an even 10-15-20 (people) that would be sweet

Same deal as before if I can source it, pick up only, Ringwood East

Prices to be confirmed

:icon_cheers:

1: 5kg - I amozziyob

Running total 5Kg

A 2:1 mix of sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate is referred to as the 'magic powder' by the locals.

Not just used in the brewery, great as a dishwasher cleaner, sinks, drains, anything stainless so my baskets from the coffee machine. So far it has done nothing but amaze people and earns loads of brownie points with the other halves. :lol:

2: 5kg - fraser_john
3: 5kg - Fents

Right, Prices Ive been given at this point are ( :unsure: if thats pickup or delivery )

1 Bag - $3.15 Kg

10 Bags - $0.85 Kg

Somewhere in the middle sounds good B)

ed: Somewhere mid Sptember..

Cheers

spacer.gif

2: 5kg - fraser_john
4: 5kg - WarmBeer
5: 5kg - Mario

I'm still amazed by the cleaning power of the percarb I bought in the last BB you ran.

What extra does the metasilicate bring? Might be interested.

To a large degree, cleaning the'running equipment'...Im heading down the CIP road, for me personally, it will mean being able to use the Same water that im using for the hex for all the cleaning i should need to do

Actually its a bit of a pita as i have teflon my hex...

Mostly mate, coz we can and it adds the extra dimension if i feel the need,

The perc does wonders for most applications, but i dont trust it 'by itself' to do my coil etc on he hex.

IM probably rambling...

I'll have a think and get back to you.

No Hex in my system - dead cats in the walls take care of that.

The perc does wonders for most applications, but i dont trust it 'by itself' to do my coil etc on he hex.

IM probably rambling...
You're rambling, but if your chemical supplier also sells (smaller amounts of) Sodium dodecyl sulfate (surfactant/detergent) and Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid (dissolves limescale, which is a little less important for Melbourne water) you'll be very close to DIY-PBW.

It's taken me years to use 5kg of Sodium percarbonate, so it would take 3-times longer to use use 5kg of Sodium Met - but if anyone wants to go half/third/fourth/fifth of 5kg - let me know. ;)

Is it used for cleaning out fermenters or just as a general soaker? Is it better than starsan or used to break off crud from the bottom of the fermenter?

Thanks,

R

Is it used for cleaning out fermenters or just as a general soaker? Is it better than starsan or used to break off crud from the bottom of the fermenter?
I presume most people (as pointed out by DrSmurto) will use it in combination with Sodium percarbonate as a brewery wash/soak (the same as Napisan/Oxyclean/Sodium percarbonate products are used).
Sodium Metasilicate is not a sanitizing agent like StarSan (but wiki suggests it can be used as a finnings).
Sodium metabisulfite (Campden tablets) can used as a home brew disinfectant/sanitizer/bottle-wash and to remove chloramine from treated water.

I presume most people (as pointed out by DrSmurto) will use it in combination with Sodium percarbonate as a brewery wash/soak (the same as Napisan/Oxyclean/Sodium percarbonate products are used).
Sodium Metasilicate is not a sanitizing agent like StarSan (but wiki suggests it can be used as a finnings).
Sodium metabisulfite (Campden tablets) can used as a home brew disinfectant/sanitizer/bottle-wash and to remove chloramine from treated water.

Thanks for that.
Prob stick with chhlorine for the crud and starsan for the sanitizing.

R

2: 10kg - fraser_john (split Mr_Tyreman)

2: 15kg - fraser_john (split Mr_Tyreman, HoppinMad)

I'm still amazed by the cleaning power of the percarb I bought in the last BB you ran.

What extra does the metasilicate bring? Might be interested.

Sodium metasilicate is a slightly safer version of caustic soda. Combined with sodium percarbonate the cleaning power is off the charts.

Even this chemist was amazed the first time i used PBW instead of just sodium percabonate. PBW contains a few extra ingredients (as pointed out by Wolfy) but the 2 workhorses in it are the percarbonate and metasilicate. At a fraction of the cost of PBW, this mix is 99% as good.

I used metasilicate in a winery to clean the inside of tanks using a spray ball. The tanks were coated with tartrates which couldn't be removed with high pressure 80C water. Adding a small amount of metasilicate to the water resulted in the tartrates literally washing off the surface. Again, this chemist was amazed.

This combination does was percarbonate takes hours/days to do in seconds.

I'm a huge fan of the 'magic powder'.

Cool, thanks.

Give it a shot.

2: 15kg - fraser_john (split Mr_Tyreman, HoppinMad)
6. 5 kg - manticle

Two more questions sorry Dr S - is it biodegradeable in the same/similar way that sodium percarb is?
Does it react badly with any particular materials (specifically any metals like aluminium or brass?)

Back