EOI PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually ended up hooking a venting line onto the blowtie and taking advantage of the vented CO2 by using it to dispense a keg full of starsan into another keg, leaving me with a fully O2 purged keg. Saved me wasting the bottle gas.

Nice idea - I'll steal that! :) Still using the spring poppet type not the blowtie, but will try one at some stage.

My only gripe is with the Kegland video.
It's 7 1/2 minutes showing why the spring poppet type is bad and about 15 seconds saying why diaphragm is better, but not explaining exactly how it works.
Obviously a marketing video not a truly informative one.

Just to clarify - not knocking the product, just the video.
I'm not on the blue or red team, I buy from whoever supplies good product at good prices.

This is a fantastic product. I'm on my second ferment in the new 58L Kegmenter. No wandering pressure like a few "know it all's" here speculated. It is a true set and forget.
I would like to know what pressures you are holding at, mine isn't performing that well at all.

No, I'm talking about the Kegland Blowtie valve. and yes I know what Thread this is.

Checked again this morning, staying perfectly @ 12psi.

Cheers.
Reading back, it was said that if liquid gets into the diaphragm style PRVs like the blowtie then it would creep and asking for a comparison to see their quality
No know it alls saying that it WOULD creep
A bit of a baseless accusation there...

I set mine on the co2 tank at 5 psi and marked it, checking my gauge at the same time. Attached the spunding set up to the keg on the 5 psi mark and it discharged at 7psi when it reset it was at 2 psi before slowly going back up to 5 psi then later discharged again at 7 psi and so on.

Sounds about right, if you have set the pressure at 5 PSI then it will have to go above that to vent, the closing can often be a bit sluggish on a diaphragm. Also you shouldn't be capping the ferment until close to the end, what sort of gauge have you got, must be a good one to register a couple of PSI change.

I had been happy with the PRV from the bulk buy, but got a blowtie to compare. Luckily enough, my PRV failed two days after the blowtie arrived, so had a reason for immediate use!

Gotta say setup was very quick and easy.

I used the blowtie for a pressure transfer initially - no dramas.

With fermentation, I typically set to between 5-8 psi with great results since switching to spunding. TBH I noticed no lag (either overshoot or settling) at any time with the blowtie. I must say I didn’t monitor it meticulously in the time following connection to the fermenter, but saw no dramas when setting the pressure.

654D360C-1827-411F-A19F-C0C4D84E462B.jpeg 48BC400F-35D7-4C0D-95D8-AD3161E43B0A.jpeg F1C67558-2086-4A6B-83C5-994BFAD45AA3.jpeg

Upfront - I was supplied one of these for testing, but will have no dramas purchasing another when I have a need. They are extremely quick and easy to setup (think seconds) and very effective at their task.

Now to pull the other valve apart, hopefully just needs a clean. Could use it for transfers while the blowtie is taking care of Px ferments. Any tips? It is venting at all times.

Correct, and every review I have seen where people have genuinely tried diaphragm valves in place of poppet has given up on the diaphragm. They will work if one is willing to part with the cash and get the load of the spring in the zone they want. The poppet is cheap simple and works, Kegland would have done better promoting the s/steel poppet they originally were going to run with, I was all for that, difficult to promote now after the rubbishing they gave the poppet in their video.

Hello Wide Eyed And Legless. I have no idea what you are talking about. We have not got any reports on the blowtie not working? It has become the our assumption that you have association with another competitor which is probably the source of these so called reviews.

The poppet and spring simply have mechanical engineering constraints that will always prevent this design from working well. This was done in this video here:

Can we propose that you come in and we do a video together and we will do a direct comparison between the opening and closing pressures from 0-15psi and using some digital pressure logging transducers we can actually demonstrate how well each one works. Whatever the results are we will publish them on the forum. We will use a blowtie unit and you can bring as many different poppet and spring spunding valves you like.

A diaphragm will amplify the forces to activate the valve therefore giving higher resolution of control. Especially with small forces (ie. low pressures below 15psi). Diaphragms are used so widely throughout so many different industries where accurate pressure control is required.

We did design a much more accurate stainless poppet and spring spunding valve than many others on the market but the reality is it works nowhere near as well as the blowtie which is far more accurate than any of these poppet style spunding valves. Despite a significant amount of engineering, design and testing work we have come full circle and come back to the conclusion that a diaphragm is simply a better way to control pressure.

Mine blowtie is still rock solid.. no creep, and I’m more commonly setting it to 2 or 3 psi these days.

I would be presuming this thread has been resurrected as there are two new spunding valves available from Keg King the Spundit and the all in one PRV with pressure gauge and increments. I have ended up using my Blowtie as a secondary inline regulator for my kegs, which is what it really intended for, holds 10 PSI till the cows come home but as for venting using it as PRV the drag time of return after venting was way to slow.

Correct, and every review I have seen where people have genuinely tried diaphragm valves in place of poppet has given up on the diaphragm. They will work if one is willing to part with the cash and get the load of the spring in the zone they want. The poppet is cheap simple and works, Kegland would have done better promoting the s/steel poppet they originally were going to run with, I was all for that, difficult to promote now after the rubbishing they gave the poppet in their video.
So you don't like the diaphragm design yet you claim that the one KK are selling is the best thing you've ever seen and you were looking into buying a few to bring back and sell.

So you don't like the diaphragm design yet you claim that the one KK are selling is the best thing you've ever seen and you were looking into buying a few to bring back and sell.
Au contraire, if you read the 'Fermenting under pressure' thread you will see that my first PRV of choice were the diaphragm valves, but the cost was excessive to the need.
Cheapest I found was $68 15 psi if I remember right but obviously a spring withstanding a load of 15 pounds force could not be accurate at the lower end of the scale, pressure wouldn't operate it satisfactory 5 psi or below.
This link below has one which I would have liked 1- 15 psi, but at around $250 AU, so out of the ball park.
https://straval.com/products/relief...ol-inline-threaded-rvi-20/?size=16#size_table
KL put a handle on a $1.50 inline regulator rated 0-40 psi and called it a BloTie, that was my argument about diaphragm valves it is physically impossible for a spring taking a 40 lb load to operate as a PRV at low pressure, least they could have done is halved the compression spring load.
in_line_regulator_angle.jpg

Trongos is the best PRV I have seen, well thought out, though he never used it at low pressure, 15 psi is the lowest I believe he goes to and he ferments at 30 oC . He uses an app on his phone to monitor fermentation and a few other features. Seeing as most people who pressure ferment at higher psi it is ideal, not suitable for me.

Thanks for sharing great post. We all know about the shipping restrictions on Amazon, Best Buy, eBay, Apple Store etc. They don’t just have package shipping restrictions but also payment restrictions; some don’t want to accept our credit cards while others simply say we accept PayPal only. Here i share a blog where many package forwarding are mention with there rates and comparison.
<a href="http://packageforwarding.info">shop and ship calculator</a>
<a href="http://packageforwarding.info">package forwarding usa</a>
<a href="http://packageforwarding.info/shipito-myus-viabox-fishisfast/"> viabox reviews</a>

Would you have any left?
I've got 2 that have never been used
Life got in the way so i've never built my spunding valves
Let me know if you'd like them, I'd do the 2 for $40 posted, which is a little less that what I paid

Hello Wide Eyed And Legless. I have no idea what you are talking about. We have not got any reports on the blowtie not working? It has become the our assumption that you have association with another competitor which is probably the source of these so called reviews.

The poppet and spring simply have mechanical engineering constraints that will always prevent this design from working well. This was done in this video here:

Can we propose that you come in and we do a video together and we will do a direct comparison between the opening and closing pressures from 0-15psi and using some digital pressure logging transducers we can actually demonstrate how well each one works. Whatever the results are we will publish them on the forum. We will use a blowtie unit and you can bring as many different poppet and spring spunding valves you like.

A diaphragm will amplify the forces to activate the valve therefore giving higher resolution of control. Especially with small forces (ie. low pressures below 15psi). Diaphragms are used so widely throughout so many different industries where accurate pressure control is required.

We did design a much more accurate stainless poppet and spring spunding valve than many others on the market but the reality is it works nowhere near as well as the blowtie which is far more accurate than any of these poppet style spunding valves. Despite a significant amount of engineering, design and testing work we have come full circle and come back to the conclusion that a diaphragm is simply a better way to control pressure.

Thank you .. that was very clear and informative ....

FYI .. Pronunciation of the word "Hysteresis".

Back