EOI Oxygen scavenging caps/crown seals

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well we had our clubs Oktoberfest meet the other week, at which, we selflessly sampled the eisbock that I bottled over a year ago with these caps, along with one of the couple I bottled with swing tops for comparison.

For anyone not aware of this style, it is a big beer... a real big beer... one you would almost associate with sitting by the fire on a chesterfield lounge smoking a cigar discussing at which of your estates you will go hunting at tomorrow.

Tasting the O2 capped one, you get the full aroma and taste, complete with what seems like infinite subtleties.
Tasting the swing top, you could tell it was the same beer, but was as if your nose and tongue had big winter gloves on; you could almost pick up the delicate aromas and tastes, but ultimately they smashed and fell through your big clumsy fingers.
For those of us who are picturing me with a glove over my nose, it was like I had already had 6 of these beers and was very merry, the same beer was there, but my senses are dulled and as such miss out on the finer things.
Needless to say, I believe that oxidisation has definitely taken hold on the swing top sample.

If I didn't already have way too many of these caps, after this tasting, I would be looking to acquire them, and put them on every beer I bottled.

I still have one more swing top of this beer, I think I will bring it to next years Oktoberfest and see how much each of them have changed.

Has anyone else done any long term comparisons?

My imperial stout still tastes the same as it did since I bottled it from that run of caps! :)

EDIT: That is to say the flavours have all come together better (conditioned) but it hasn't lost any intensity or appeared to have oxidised.

Last edited:
I gather you didnt cap any with standard caps?

Sadly no, I wasn't thinking that far ahead at the time! I did run some short term experiments with an XPA just before and those wielded good results with the O2 caps retaining better aroma and flavour after 3-6 weeks compared to regular caps.. I know they're intended more for long term storage though, good to hear you got such great results!

So when's the next bulk buy happening?
put me down for 1000
:bigcheers:

I think I still have about 960 left...
I can give you the details if you want to organise yourself

I think I still have about 960 left...
I can give you the details if you want to organise yourself

I'd be keen to grab some as well if you can spare any. I can take a run up to the central coast to save you the hassle of posting.

Just realised @altone asked for 1000 and you have less than that left. Doh! Sorry for cluttering up your thread with my bad maths...

Thanks for bringing these to my attention though. I never knew anything like this existed and as a fan of hop bombs, these are of great interest.

Yeah, it was more of a 'ittle be a while before I organise another one for caps
You may find enough people for another bulk buy, but I won't be running it.

+Fair 'nuff mate. I don't blame you. There's a lot of work and not much thanks when you're pulling together something like this.

P.S. I love your avatar and I'm tempted to change my tag line to letting the days go by. If you're ever in Sydney and want to listen to some Talking Heads on a good hi fi rig, shoot me a PM.

Yeah, it was more of a 'ittle be a while before I organise another one for caps
You may find enough people for another bulk buy, but I won't be running it.

Was mostly joking about put me down for 1000 - unless someone took me up on it.

Well maybe after I've finished moving house and fixing it up etc. etc.
If nobody else has decided to start one by then I'll look at doing it - see if enough folks are interested.

I'm keen to arrange another bulk buy of these if there's enough interest...
The price has changed a little ($155 for 10,000 plus postage, etc) and I'll be going for the matt silver ones.

https://www.closuresonline.com.au/shop/26mm-oxy-scsilver-matt-15-50-per-000/

Anyone else keen?

PS - I'm in Brisbane if that makes any difference...

PPS - N87, any tips or contacts you'd suggest?

Hey Chris,

I was speaking to Paige at Closures Online, but all the info I got is in this thread, no real contacts other than that.

Weigh the caps, dont count them... You will end up with one bag bigger or smaller, but if you did your maths correctly, it shouldn't be that bad.
I wouldn't advise offering quantities less than 500, the effort and postage isn't really worth it, but that's up to you.
Officeworks postage may be cheaper than AusPost, but it doesnt deliver to PO boxes, and the postage process is a bit of a pain (see earlier post).
Closures online were really good to deal with, and had super quick postage. If you found somewhere marginally cheaper, I would suggest sticking with closures online.

OK, so that's about 4,000 to 4,500. dependant on freight costs...
I'll take 1000 or so, so we've still got another 4,500 or so to go...

1. Altone 1000
2. BBQzookeeper 500-1000
3. ABG 500
4. Coalminer 1000
5. Half-baked 1000
6. Chris Gillott 1000 (willing to take some more to get the order over the line...say up to a max of 2000)

Balance 4,500 - 5000...

Any other takers?

1. Altone 1000
2. BBQzookeeper 1000
3. ABG 500
4. Coalminer 1000
5. Half-baked 1000
6. Chris Gillott 1000 (willing to take some more to get the order over the line...say up to a max of 2000)

Committing to the full 1K :) Love Bulk Buys!

Latest posts

Back