EOI - 2014 - Inaugural Annual Brewathon (Melbourne)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idzy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I saw a little while back some guys in other states talking about brewing multiple batches in the one day and it got me thinking - I wonder if Melbourians are into this?...

Well I did some searching and can't seem to find much on this topic from anyone in the great southern part of our great southern land.

So... is anyone interested in doing something like this? I am happy to host or help with hosting. Don't know when it would be (definitely after the next case swap) and probably would need to slot in around other events on the calendar, but I reckon it could be cool to see how many brews we could pump out in a day.

If there is some interest, we can start talking details...

Cheers,
Idzy

Yob said:
Are you talking a system wars sort of thing or Partigyle type of thing?
I imagine system wars could get a bit nasty. Was more thinking of just getting together and pumping out a whole bunch of recipes on one system, or maybe a couple...

Interesting idea, when we had our second meeting of Merri Mashers (northern suburbs of Melbourne brew club) there was a suggestion that we have a brew competition some time this year where we all use the one brewing system to pump out our ales. Wasn't very attracted by the idea then since my system is veeeeeeeeery different to the next fellows, who probably have very different systems to their neighbour's, etc. Doing a competition batch on a new (high tech, large scale) brew system sounded to me like a disaster in the making - and if not a disaster, a highly intimidating process.

This doesn't sound too bad though. Would be fun to meet others, co-operate on our brews, etc.

Nice Macgyver pic,by the way. I like to think that Macgyver's methods - 'I saved the world using nothing but a rubber band and a wristwatch!' - bear some similarity to my own weird brewing system.

TimT, if you can use a paperclip and chewy paper, why do it any other way? :p

I was more thinking like the case swap where we do a big brew, except instead of 1 big brew, multiple brews over the course of the day. The point being to try and work together in getting multiple brews happening all at the same time, all at different stages of the cycle and then do it again the next year, with the obvious goal of beating the previous years number of brews :)

I know it sounds chaotic and probably a recipe for disaster, but my thinking is that it will help us think about ways to improve our own brew days and get more efficient with out time, or at least this will be a consequence.

Cheers,
idzy

brendo, cm2. fourstar and maple used to do 1 of these a year, I can't think what the thread was called but they'd pump out a couple of hundred liters, most of the brew clubs will have a brewday where various members bring the brewery and brew

Westgate have a set recipe comp every year , TimT...
It's a good way to set some parameters ( recipe ) and compare the resulting beer.. Everyone can make wort.. But can they make a good beer ? Don't be shy.. It's a good way to kick of a comp within a brew club....
I get trying to make the wort on one system and everyone ferment it.. But why let that be the only variable ? As you said , everyone has different systems.. Why not embrace that ?
Cheers
Ferg

mxd said:
brendo, cm2. fourstar and maple used to do 1 of these a year, I can't think what the thread was called but they'd pump out a couple of hundred liters, most of the brew clubs will have a brewday where various members bring the brewery and brew
Met cm2 at Melbourne Brewers meeting this evening, I will have to ask him about it next time.

Sounds like a nice pla. another one I like is to chip in for a barrel, everyone brew say an imperial stout to recipe, then blend them up and let it age.

NIce idea Ferg. This is just a spur of the moment idea, but maybe you or a fellow Westgate brewer could give a chat to our Merri Mashers club sometime about the running of Westgate, re: competitions, monthly events, etc.

This year I'm focusing mostly on herbal brews (ie, no hops, stuff like yarrow or mugwort or gentian for bittering), so it's not only my *system* that's different... my recipes might end up being substantially different, too!

idzy said:
Met cm2 at Melbourne Brewers meeting this evening, I will have to ask him about it next time.
you were also standing next to fourstar (the hop provider) and Brendo was the model for the shirt, I was sitting nest to Yob

so fourstar is still alive and brewing? hiiiii bray bray! <3

Fents said:
so fourstar is still alive and brewing? hiiiii bray bray! <3
not too sure about brewing :)

mxd said:
you were also standing next to fourstar (the hop provider) and Brendo was the model for the shirt, I was sitting nest to Yob
Dude, you will need to make yourself known. I was standing there like a tool and didn't know anyone :) We will have to say g'day next time, you know what I look like, haha.

MXD is correct, four of us did this three years running with each year progressively becoming bigger as we got more confident with our abilities to produce ridiculous amounts of wort in a single day - and I will say we always had a strong focus on quality, not just quantity with some cracking beers produced.

We missed out last year, however we have purchased 2 100l oak barrels between us, so the next project will involve wood aging. In order to hit the volumes produced, we typically took the approach of brewing using the traditional partigyle method of taking the first runnings for a big beer, with second runnings used for a standard/smaller beer. Works really well and saves you a heap of time. Also produces some exceptionally tasty big beers.

I did a quick search and dug up a number of the threads relating to these brew days of our - should give you a bit of an insight about the process we undertook (and some of the mishaps along the way).

Brew Day #1 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/42622-cm2-fourstar-brendo-maple-mega-barleywine-brewday
Brew Day #2 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/49901-cm2-fourstar-brendo-maple-collaboration-brewday-2
Brew Day #2 recipe discussion http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/62275-recipedb-cm2-fourstar-brendo-maple-collaboration-riipa
Brew Day #3 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/63346-fourstar-cm2-brendo-maple-mega-brewday-3

Happy reading...

Brendo

brendo said:
MXD is correct, four of us did this three years running with each year progressively becoming bigger as we got more confident with our abilities to produce ridiculous amounts of wort in a single day - and I will say we always had a strong focus on quality, not just quantity with some cracking beers produced.

We missed out last year, however we have purchased 2 100l oak barrels between us, so the next project will involve wood aging. In order to hit the volumes produced, we typically took the approach of brewing using the traditional partigyle method of taking the first runnings for a big beer, with second runnings used for a standard/smaller beer. Works really well and saves you a heap of time. Also produces some exceptionally tasty big beers.

I did a quick search and dug up a number of the threads relating to these brew days of our - should give you a bit of an insight about the process we undertook (and some of the mishaps along the way).

Brew Day #1 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/42622-cm2-fourstar-brendo-maple-mega-barleywine-brewday
Brew Day #2 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/49901-cm2-fourstar-brendo-maple-collaboration-brewday-2
Brew Day #2 recipe discussion http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/62275-recipedb-cm2-fourstar-brendo-maple-collaboration-riipa
Brew Day #3 http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/63346-fourstar-cm2-brendo-maple-mega-brewday-3

Happy reading...

Brendo
Well Brendo, that sure does sound awesome! Pretty much exactly what I am talking about. Will have to chat at the next Melbourne Brewers meeting.

Cheers fella.

Idzy

SergeMarx said:
Sounds like a nice pla. another one I like is to chip in for a barrel, everyone brew say an imperial stout to recipe, then blend them up and let it age.

Carrying on with the barrel idea, what about a solera project?

Yob said:
as previously mentioned, dont discount a good system wars..

happy reading
Sounds awesome, just not sure how it would work with the popularity of Electric systems increasing. Power requirements would be huge. We would need to do it at a factory with multiple 3 phase circuits I reckon.

Although, I am trying to build the ghetto off the grid system.

Back