Enjoying a four pack of Murray's pale ale then.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc64

Reaction score
A gusher, into the glass while I was watching the soccer looked down to see a foaming beer. Quick taste and confirmation from the stubby that something went amiss with this one. A similar smell to a keg I once had that didn't seal properly and sat in the fridge lagering for a month before I realized it was ruined. Bought from DM :huh:

I saw something recently, I think even on these forums about this problem.

Shawn responded and acknowledged the issue I think some Nov/Dec bottled batches went awry due to some teething problems with offsite bottling. Something like that.

Definitely email them and let them know because they really do want to know when there's a f**k up!

Yep, will do. I put aside the bottle and recapped it. Wanted to check it tomorrow morning when my head is clear from fuzz :D

Just opened a bottle of Icon 2IPA and nothing. Completely flat.

I assume the crown seal just did't seal, then remembered reading about issues with infections/over-carbonation/under-carbonation before with Murray's beers (in bottles) so thought I'd ad my experience. Such a pity, beer still smelled great though which means I'll have to get another bottle to actually "taste" the beer properly.

funny thing is so many poeple make excuses for aussie breweries and blame transport and handling for bad beers. if one out of a 4pack is a dud it really rules out the transport and handling doesnt it.

I love murrays icon 2 ipa but i've never had a perfect one in the bottle. I've had under carved, over carbed but never just right. I still think its great though. Best drunk at murrays on tap. Delish.

I sent the brewery the details of my experience and the brewer, Shawn, got back to me. At least they have the details if they want to check out their bottling.

Just to add my experience to the record......

On the weekend my brother brought over a 4-pack of punch and judy. 2 were clearly infected, with what seemed like a wild yeast. They both gushed, were watery and thin in body, had some phenolics to them and had a lot tiny clumps of non-flocculant yeast in the head. The other 2 were fine. Obviously there are some issues with bottling going on at Murray's judging by this thread, which is a shame as their beer is usually quite good.

as previously stated have you thought about contacting shawn and seeing what he has to say about this rather than just writing about the problems on here.

I haven't really had that much of a response when contacting breweries/brewers about infection issues in their product(s). So no, I don't tend to bother any more. If you think Shawn will appreciate the feedback I am happy to tell him, I still have the bottles to get the batch numbers from.

think you will find he will appreciate it greatly.

Back