English/scottish/irish/ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
well the next k&k that i am going to try is one of the above ,dont know if they are all the same style or not but i have tried caffertys irish draught and beemish red and somthing else that i cant remember,but i liked the different style.anyway i did put down about 3 months ago a morgans royal oak amber ale with 250 malt/600 dextrose/250 corn syrup,this was a really nice golden color with a nice head now developing ,i used the yeast under the lid and fermentation was about 18/20 deg with 10 days in secondry,now this beer is not a bad drop very simialar in the irish beers color but it is just lacking somthing that i cant put my finger on,maybe its just the yeast,anyway does someone have a k&k recipe for one of these beers,i dont mind adding a bit of extra grain in with the recipe like i did with the grumpys kit and im thinking of say a different yeast
cheers
fergi

fergi said:
but it is just lacking somthing that i cant put my finger on,maybe its just the yeast,
[post="51774"][/post]​

G'day Fergi.

Big difference could be the nitrogen dispense. You won't get the creamy texture via your normal methods. of bottle priming, although you can still make a very enjoyable beer.

You could try steeping a bit of medium crystal malt. If you can mashing a small amount of pale malt or some Vienna malt may improve it somewhat too.

Another good tip Fergi, you'll learn up the track that leaving out corn syrup will only help your beers. IMO corn syrup only gives the beer a slick/slimy sort of texture and mutes the effect of hops to a degree.

Immediate solution would be to replace your 250g of Corn syrup (and at least half of your sugar) with some amber malt extract if you can get hold of it.

Hope this helps,
Warren -

yes thanks warren,i will leave out the corn syrup in future ive heard that one and ill get some of the amber malt that sounds good,what about the yeast
cheers
fergi

Yep, ditch the yeast under the lid. Their exact age is always a contentious issue.

Maybe buy a sachet of Safale yeast from your HB store. It can only improve the finished product.

Probably not a bad idea to start reading up on the forum and looking at the virtues of some liquid yeast up the track too. You'll find the difference quite amazing.

Warren -

Add say 300g dry wheat malt extract, it will put a nice thick creamy head on your beers. Add total dry extract and dextrose in the ratio 75% malt, 25% dextrose.

Jovial Monk

hi Fergi

i make a kilkenny based on the Morgans Royal Amber Oak...

i add 150gms of Dark Brown Sugar and 1 kg of light LME...
Optional is to steep
- 150gms of Xtal
- 100 Amber Malt
- 50 Melanoidan
Best yeast to use is either 1084 Irish Ale, 1338 European Ale or Windsor Ale...

If u can get over to Lyndoch i am happy to give u the grain -freshly cracked of course - and the yeast to have a go with....

thanks again guys,also thanks for the offer gmk,but as i said in another post i cant get to the next meeting ,but the one after that should be ok,cant wait actually to try some of the beer that you guys make,now if only we could put some nitrogen in our beer eh warren
cheers
fergi

fergi said:
now if only we could put some nitrogen in our beer eh warren
[post="51856"][/post]​

Can be done Fergi :D

Like anything HB though you've got to be prepared to part with some $$$$$$ for extra equipment.

If you like a lot of those nitro dispense beers it would be a good investment :super: . However if you're like me and don't overly care for them. Not a prob. B)

Warren -

I did a so called "Irish Ale" a month ago, which consisted of the Coopers Draught Kit, with the brew enhancer 1, 300gms Golden Syrup and I added 250gms LME. 21Lt brew size

Pretty basic kit, doesnt taste all that bad, but thought it would be better, and not much like Kilkenny as it alluded to in the recipe!

GMK said:
hi Fergi

i make a kilkenny based on the Morgans Royal Amber Oak...

i add 150gms of Dark Brown Sugar and 1 kg of light LME...
Optional is to steep
- 150gms of Xtal
- 100 Amber Malt
- 50 Melanoidan
Best yeast to use is either 1084 Irish Ale, 1338 European Ale or Windsor Ale...

If u can get over to Lyndoch i am happy to give u the grain -freshly cracked of course - and the yeast to have a go with....
[post="51823"][/post]​

I thought Melanoidin needed to be mashed? I'm sure that's what google told me when i went looking

Latest posts

Back