English Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fodder

Reaction score
Afternoon folks,

Have been thinking about putting down an English style IPA for some time now and have searched the DB with some help gleaned from there and used the Kit and Extract Beer designer to come up with the following:

Coopers IPA Kit: 1.7kg
Cooper Amber Liquid Malt Extract: 1.5kg
Dextrose: 0.5kg
East Kent Goldings: 20gm @ 40mins
East Kent Goldings: 20gm @ 30mins
Williamette: 20gm @ 20mins
Williamette: 20gm @ 10mins
Williamette: 20gm @ 0mins
Yeast: S-04

Just wondered what your thoughts where with the hop choice and timings? Reason being, I'm not entirely sure if either would be better subbed with Fuggles? Also, using Willy that much towards the end...would i be better off swapping the Goldings and the Willy's around the other way?

Also, experiences with the S-04 for an english style ale...

EDIT: discoed :eek: and looks like a double (wot, triple...) post <_<

Sorry for the multiple topics...not sure what happend there...

Looks yummy IIRC The Coopers IPA uses Fuggles so your Willamette should be fine. The Coopers IPA is one of the best IMO.

I am a hophead only thing I would change is the EKG up from 40 to 60mins to get a bit more bitterness in there.

I don't use S0-4 so no help there I would be using Nottingham cos that is what I got.

Afternoon folks,

Have been thinking about putting down an English style IPA for some time now and have searched the DB with some help gleaned from there and used the Kit and Extract Beer designer to come up with the following:

Coopers IPA Kit: 1.7kg
Cooper Amber Liquid Malt Extract: 1.5kg
Dextrose: 0.5kg
East Kent Goldings: 20gm @ 40mins
East Kent Goldings: 20gm @ 30mins
Williamette: 20gm @ 20mins
Williamette: 20gm @ 10mins
Williamette: 20gm @ 0mins
Yeast: S-04

Just wondered what your thoughts where with the hop choice and timings? Reason being, I'm not entirely sure if either would be better subbed with Fuggles? Also, using Willy that much towards the end...would i be better off swapping the Goldings and the Willy's around the other way?

Also, experiences with the S-04 for an english style ale...

EDIT: discoed :eek: and looks like a double (wot, triple...) post <_<

I haven't used willamette so can't comment there. My English IPA recipe uses a fair whack of EKG for flavour and aroma so if you like EKG it definitely works well.

Dry hopping works in this style.

Your hop additions + that tin will give a fair bit of bittering. This style is traditionally bitter so that's not a bad thing - just make sure the level is what you want.

Traditionally IPAs were highly bittered, allowed to mature for a good whack of time, then dry hopped for freshness if my understanding is correct. These days, brewers tend to accelerate everything.

Looks yummy IIRC The Coopers IPA uses Fuggles so your Willamette should be fine. The Coopers IPA is one of the best IMO.

I am a hophead only thing I would change is the EKG up from 40 to 60mins to get a bit more bitterness in there.

I don't use S0-4 so no help there I would be using Nottingham cos that is what I got.

Thanks TB! I may do just that...(40 to 60 mins...)

I'm not sold on Nottingham's though. I've only used it once and it was a dud. Most likely just a one off. I might try it again and see if I can get a good batch this time, and perhaps have the extra coopers yeasties on standby (i've got about 3 of the little packs lying around now...)

Also, something that just popped into my head about this one...is it worth steeping some grains of some sort?

Any ideas what sorts I would go for, and how long to steep?

If you want to steep some nice English crystal malt (simpsons would be good) it would work well. However in that case, I'd drop the amber extract and add in some pale DME instead.

Latest posts

Back