English IPA - Recipe Check

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stakka82

Hoptimus Prime
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am most likely going to brew my first english IPA next weekend. This is what I'm looking at:

OG 1060ish
IBU 55ish

87% Pale Ale
5% Dark Crystal
5% Medium Crystal
3% Biscuit

Willamette at 60, Styrians late and dry hopped.

I am tempted to go all styrians, I've never used them before but have heard/read great things. Thoughts?

Also, I have a pack of S-04 at home but am hesitant to use it with an IPA because I find it absolutely mauls hop flavour/aroma and I want the styrians to shine. My alternative is use US-05, which I have lying around, or try an english liquid yeast.

If I were to go the english liquid route what would be the best choice for relatively low but pleasant esters and minimal hop strippage? I have very little experience with english yeasts only having used s-04 and 1098 previously.

Thanks!

I used White Labs 013-London Ale on my latest IPA, came out bonza, can't really say what the yeast did or didn't do to the hops because I hadn't brewed that batch before.
But I am very happy with the results, its meant to be a fairly neutral yeast and its semms that way to me, beer is nicely balance, though that may just be a cracker of a recipe.. :p

Styrians are awesome.
1469 is awesome.

Awesome in the sense that I am filled with awe as to how awesome they both are.

Don't dry hop with styrians any longer than about 2-3 days though.

I've not experienced a mauling of hop flavour/aroma using SO-4, but it's not the yeast for an IPA.
If using dried, use Nottingham/US-05. If using liquid just choose a high attenuating English yeast you like the descriptors of, WY-1275 is a good choice.

10% med/dark crystal is IMO a little out of style, 10% carahell would work or drop the crystal to max 5%. All styrians would work great & they'll let you see how they perform.

Cheers Ross

Thanks for the input guys.

Think I will go with the following:

90% pale ale
3.5% med xtal
3.5% dark xtal
3% biscuit

100% sytrians

1469... doing a bit of reading it sounds great.

Back