English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is what I'm putting on today. I may need to use some extract (dry) and may change the hops to EKG.

Crack W ale
English Ordinary Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/03/2005
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Brewer: John
Boil Size: 17.81 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.7 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
42.00 gm Ahtanum [6.00%] (60 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
14.00 gm Ahtanum [6.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 33.3 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 7.7 SRM Color: Color

Comments?

cheers
johnno

Holy deja vu Batman!

Johnno, I've only used the ahtanum hops once - and that was in an American Indian Pale Ale. Mine was bittered to about 55 - with half off that coming from early addition ahtanum. Loved the beer, but it was very much in the tradition of aggressively hopped american pale ales, and the ahtanum suited it to a tee.

Struck me as very much an american style hop, not as pungent as cascade, but still much more citrusy than the muted hint you can sometimes get from EKG.

If you are after an English bitter, in character as well as name, I'd stick with the EKG.

just my 2c worth

awrabest. stu

Hi Johnno,
I used Ahtanum once and did not like it. I felt it had a sharper citrus taste than cascade and IMO it put my beer "over the top" if you know what I mean.
The grain bill was similar to yours but I only used the hop for bittering and went to 25 ibu.
Jayse tried mine and said it wasn't bad, so we all have different tastes.
As Wee Stu said an English Bitter would be a lot closer to style with EKG or Fuggles but if you want to use the hops to get rid of them then give it a go.
Just my thought would be to add just a touch of roast barley as well to add some malt depth against the hops.
Let us know how it goes
Cheers

PS: Good to see the thread come back in disguise :lol: :beer:

Yes wee stu i should be using Goldings. I have ahtnum left over so I want to use them. I have made a version of jayse's SFPA and it came out a beauty. The one posted in the recipe section.Also last year I entered an APA in the Vicbrew comp using these hops. It was interesting to note that 2 of the 3 judges thought this was entered in the wrong category. The judged it down to an English Bitter. I wasnt using software then but from memory and my notes this probably would have been about 50 ibu's.

cheers
johnno

Hi dicko,
sorry I must've been posting while you were.
But thats my experience with these hops so far. Actually I have some nelson sauvin from New Zealand.
I know Doc has used these and recommended them in a stout. Anyone else used them in a ale style beer that can comment on them?

cheers
johnno

PS better start heating that water soon

Hows it going there johnno?
At the risk of being uncool i'll say i think the ahtunum would work great in a bitter.
I have used it twice and after using them the first time i thought although they have something about them that is for the want of a better word 'american' i think they do have a more subdued and earthier flavour not totally unlkike some english hops.
Anyway which ever you use iam sure it will be great.
Mashed in yet, or still sharing easter eggs with the tin lids?

Jayse

Hi jayse,
everything was going find till i walked out to find the youngest "assistant" had decided to start the sparging without me. See attached Pic. I reckon I have lost about a litre--at the most 2. Will probably have to compensate with some DME now.
I've changed the hop lineup a bit as I wnted to get rid of the challenger and try some of the Nelson Sauvin for aroma/flavour.
Crack W ale
English Ordinary Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 24/03/2005
Batch Size: 21.00 L
Brewer: John
Boil Size: 17.81 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.7 %
0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
0.25 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 7.1 %
24.00 gm Challenger [7.00%] (60 min) Hops 19.0 IBU
14.00 gm Ahtanum [6.00%] (50 min) Hops 9.0 IBU
14.00 gm Ahtanum [6.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
7.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.70%] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.039 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 34.8 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 7.7 SRM Color: Color

cheers
johnno

MVC_015F.JPG

Finished my ale.
Efficency was crap. :(
Taste is very very Ahtanum uncool. :)
Actually. I love it!!

cheers
johnno

johnno said:
Finished my ale.
Efficency was crap. :(
Taste is very very Ahtanum uncool. :)
Actually. I love it!!

cheers
johnno
[post="51078"][/post]​

Johnno,
What happened??
Was it the amount the co -pilot let go onto the concrete?
Did you just drop the volume to make ammends

or

Did you eat the rest of the Easter eggs??

Kenny would have put that chocolate IN the beer! :lol:

Wouldn't you Ken?? :lol:

Old brew saying "she'll be right mate" Johnno.

Cheers

jayse said:
At the risk of being uncool i'll say i think the ahtunum would work great in a bitter.
I have used it twice and after using them the first time i thought although they have something about them that is for the want of a better word 'american' i think they do have a more subdued and earthier flavour not totally unlkike some english hops.

I could not agree more Jayse.

I know I've been saying it a lot lately, but in my opinion the best beers coming out on cask over here at the moment use american hops. Many traditional cask drinkers agree with me on this too.

Lovely english/scottish malts, traditional strains of english yeast, and fruity american hops like cascade, amarillo, ahtunum, perle, centenial, etc etc. They are really top beers!

kook said:
jayse said:

I could not agree more Jayse.

I know I've been saying it a lot lately, but in my opinion the best beers coming out on cask over here at the moment use american hops. Many traditional cask drinkers agree with me on this too.

Lovely english/scottish malts, traditional strains of english yeast, and fruity american hops like cascade, amarillo, ahtunum, perle, centenial, etc etc. They are really top beers!
[post="51141"][/post]​
Can't say I agree entirely. I've no problem with using American replacements for UK hops (Willamette for Fuggles, for instance), but the likes of Roosters are English/American hybrids, not really English style beers, in my opinion. Still good beers mind (not to my taste, though - I generally don't like beers with a very heavy Cascade taste, but popular with most of my mates). As commecial breweries I can see where they are coming from - it's very hard to stand out in the UK micro-brewery market these days, and going for heavily American hopped beers was one way of doing it.

[/quote]
Can't say I agree entirely. I've no problem with using American replacements for UK hops (Willamette for Fuggles, for instance), but the likes of Roosters are English/American hybrids, not really English style beers, in my opinion. Still good beers mind (not to my taste, though - I generally don't like beers with a very heavy Cascade taste, but popular with most of my mates). As commecial breweries I can see where they are coming from - it's very hard to stand out in the UK micro-brewery market these days, and going for heavily American hopped beers was one way of doing it.
[post="51145"][/post]​
[/quote]

I'm glad I'm not the only one that's not a fan of cascade - i like to think I have a broad palette, but i just can't take to a heavy cascade beer - maybe I've just spent too many years drinking traditional English ales...

Hey Johnno,

The young apprentice needs to be chased a few laps around the yard with the mash paddle. :lol:

I used to bottle I let my daughter put the bottles in the crate when she was little. I'd like a dollar for every one she dropped. <_<

Let us know how the Nelson Sauvin hops work out. They sound pretty eccentric. :super:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back