Engine Crane as Brewery general lifter

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

Brew Matt

Reaction score
Everytime I see the engine cranes come up on special from SCA and the like, I wonder if this would make a good multipurpose brewery crane for lifting malt pipes from the braumeister or moving other equally heavy things around, such as full fermenters etc.

I know one could build something more purpose specific, and probably smaller (and to suit 100kg, rather than 1000kg), but that hasn't happened yet.

Any comments? I like portability, so attaching a winch etc from the garage roof is not a solution for me.

clickeral

Reaction score
Everytime I see the engine cranes come up on special from SCA and the like, I wonder if this would make a good multipurpose brewery crane for lifting malt pipes from the braumeister or moving other equally heavy things around, such as full fermenters etc.

I know one could build something more purpose specific, and probably smaller (and to suit 100kg, rather than 1000kg), but that hasn't happened yet.

Any comments? I like portability, so attaching a winch etc from the garage roof is not a solution for me.
I have a crane which I use on the car, main issue with my setup is I wouldn't be able to get my crane over any of my equipment unless I use it in an open area (I am a 3V guy though) the legs to stable it are long, its also not super easy to move around and the hydraulic is alot slower then using a winch

beergee

Reaction score
They're fairly big and unwieldy with little solid metal wheels that get caught on the smallest obstacle. Ok if your brewery floor is clean and smooth I suppose.
Quite slow to lift too as they are basically a bottle jack pumping up the arm.

real_beer

Reaction score

I made this years ago & have used it for working on motorbikes as well as brewing. The hoists are cheap on ebay and if you or a mate can weld you can end up with a very handy addition to your workshop for a reasonable price.

Notes:
The gusset in the drawing should be ignored as a 150mm x 90mm x 6mm right angle piece of steel was used instead.

The removable Crossbar that goes between the two frames is 730mm x 50mm x 50mm x 2mm galvanised box section.
The L brakets are 150mm x 90mm x 6mm mild steel.
The frame is 30mm x 30mm x 2mm box steel.
The base is 600mm x 65mm x 40mm x 2mm galvanised steel.
The removable Dexion bracing was placed high for when it was used for wheeling over different keggles instead of a 3 tier
brewstand, but could be placed lower for BIAB.
The crossbar & bracing is removable in case a wider one is wanted say for fitting over a 6' x 4' trailer, & easy tranportation if required.
The height is just what would fit comfortable under our garage roof with 75mm casters fitted.

The gusset in the drawing should be ignored as a 150mm x 90mm x 6mm right angle piece of steel was used instead.
The L brakets used instead of the gussets are 150mm x 90mm x 6mm mild steel.
The removable Crossbar that goes between the two frames is 730mm x 50mm x 50mm x 2mm galvanised box section.
The frame is 30mm x 30mm x 2mm box steel.
The base is 600mm x 65mm x 40mm x 2mm galvanised steel.
The height is just what would fit comfortable under our garage roof with 75mm casters fitted.
1.JPGDSCF0030.JPGDSCF0034.JPGDSCF0040.JPGDSCF0043.JPGDSCF0048.JPGFrame.png

Latest posts