Empty White Labs Yeast Vials

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm trying to source a heap of empty White Labs vials if anyone wants to get rid of them.
I'm chasing a fair few so if you have any & want to get rid of them, I'll take them.
If you'd be kind enough to post them, I'll pre- pay you via PayPal.
Yamba, NSW, 2464
Cheers

Maybe tell us what you actually want them for so we can make an informed decision if we want to donate them or not?

antiphile said:
Don't you have to collect about 1000 to get a WL T-shirt?
Bugger that, I want Chris White to come to my house = 5,000

Florian said:
Maybe tell us what you actually want them for so we can make an informed decision if we want to donate them or not?
I just need some for starters. I'm turning 1 vial into 5 basically & want to have quite a few strains on hand.

White labs vials ain't White labs vials.

They are actually the blanks that are used to blow PET bottles such as Coke bottles etc. I'd guess when Whitelabs started up they were looking for a suitable container and the rest is history. I believe they are going to sachets.

You can buy them online

Last edited by a moderator:
Bribie G said:
White labs vials ain't White labs vials.

They are actually the blanks that are used to blow PET bottles such as Coke bottles etc. I'd guess when Whitelabs started up they were looking for a suitable container and the rest is history. I believe they are going to sachets.

You can buy them online
Thanks Bribie.
They are going to sachets so I thought I'd try & get some before they drop out of circulation.
I did read that they were pet bottles but didn't know where to get them from.
Thanks for the link.
Free is better though if anyone has some. I'm chasing 50.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't what you asked for, so I won't be offended if the suggestion is ignored, but... You can get 50ml centrifuge tubes (about the same vol as the WL vials). Not only can you get them with a flat base, so they are free standing, but you can get ones that are autoclavable. You can't autoclave or steam the PET vials, even boiling distorts them.

If you are after to split a fresh pack/vial, then 15ml is a good size, otherwise the 50ml is a good size for washed yeast cakes or from large starters.

mofox1 said:
This isn't what you asked for, so I won't be offended if the suggestion is ignored, but... You can get 50ml centrifuge tubes (about the same vol as the WL vials). Not only can you get them with a flat base, so they are free standing, but you can get ones that are autoclavable. You can't autoclave or steam the PET vials, even boiling distorts them.

If you are after to split a fresh pack/vial, then 15ml is a good size, otherwise the 50ml is a good size for washed yeast cakes or from large starters.
I got 50 flat based 30ml vial a while back from ProsiTech but I like the durability of the White Labs vials.
I boil the ProsiTech vials with no issues & when I use Wyeast smack packs, I get 4 vials + a tad left over which gives me approx 25billion cells in each vial.
I do starters to build them up from there. The White Labs vials I am treating differently. I am making a large starter, adding 1 vial & culturing enough yeast to fill 5 or 6 vials from the original. Once I get down to my last vial, repeat the process & so forth. I'm using YeastCalc for all my starters & propagation & sticking to the ideal inoculation rate, I should end up with 568 billion cells from the original vial after 48hrs on the stir plate. What I'm not sure of is how much cooled boiled water to add to the yeast slurry after decanting the beer off the yeast after the cold crash. I have no idea what 568 billion yeast cells equates to in mls & I want to get 5 vials full. Someone here somewhere ( I stumbled on the thread ) suggested 250ml of cooled boiled water so I'm hoping that's close.
Where's the best spot for the autoclave vials? I don't have a pressure cooker so will probably just boil. Sanitising the White Labs vials with StarSan won't be an issue right? I can't autoclave or boil them.

I have about 100 of the 50ml autoclavable flat bottom vials left over from a bulk buy years ago. Yours for the cost of postage if you want them. I have a stack of the 15ml as well...

Airgead said:
I have about 100 of the 50ml autoclavable flat bottom vials left over from a bulk buy years ago. Yours for the cost of postage if you want them. I have a stack of the 15ml as well...
I appreciate the offer.
Have you got any links to what they look like.
I haven't got a clue.

Go for them Crusty. They'll save you headaches (melty vials) and sanitary uncertainty. If you have a modicum of patience you'll have no trouble picking up a pressure cooker at the Op shops or Aldi. Totally worth it IMHO.

Crusty said:
I appreciate the offer.
Have you got any links to what they look like.
I haven't got a clue.
Taller versions of the 30's... Not sarc.

Hit up the proscitech web site for pics... Or stumble thru the bulk buy contact dets thread for other suppliers, I put a link in there, er, recently.

If Crusty doesn't take you up on your offer Airgead I most certainly will!

Airgead said:
I wouldnt mind putting a hand up for some of those if Crusty doesnt want them all (or split some with Judanero as he is local to me also)

Hi Folks

The 50ml tubes are spoken for now but I do have 95 of the 15ml tubes if anyone is interested. I used to use them for slanting yeast until it all get to be too much effort.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

I would definitely be interested in picking up some of those 15ml tubes.

Cheers,
Jamesco

OK. All surplus tubes now posted to new owners. With much thanks from the missus for removing clutter from round the house.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
OK. All surplus tubes now posted to new owners. With much thanks from the missus for removing clutter from round the house.

Cheers
Dave
Thanks heaps Dave.
Very generous offer mate & the 6 beers on tap at my house are on me if you ever get up to this neck of the woods.
Much appreciated.
Cheers

I have about 30 of the whitelabs vials, anyone pay postage and I will ship them to you.

Back